Topic

NeoAir XTherm: too hot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoAir XTherm: too hot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Will an XTherm be too warm?

Can such highly insulated pads make you too hot? I have never slept on such a highly insulated pad and am wondering if it will make me too hot in moderate or warm temps. While a thick quilt or insulated clothing obviously makes you got in mod/warm temps, I just didn't know.

I assume it wouldn't make things too hot, given that a normal bed mattress has to have a high R-value and doesn't make me too warm in Summer.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
    Todd

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

No, you'll be fine.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I would be worried more about the stickyness of the fabric. The Neo-airs are plastic like, where the Exped UL7 is a soft fabric and would be less sweaty.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I've felt too hot in mine, but its easy to vent your sleeping bag or quilt, or even better, partially deflating the pad makes a big difference.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Nope. R-value is the measure of how fast or slow you lose body heat to the ground. Your sleeping pad can't make you warm.

In warmer weather, there will be little difference between the R 3.2 of the XLite and the 5.7 of the XTherm. Functionally they'll be the same because the insulation in both is enough to retain your body heat well.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks everyone. Didn't want to plunge w/o confirming my thoughts.

Have a great day!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools