Topic

leave no trace – snow shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking leave no trace – snow shelters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Max B

@mxbenson

Locale: PNW

I've been told and read that one should tear down your snowcave/shelter after your use of it is over – and even recently read that one should demolish their wind breaks. I wondered what others felt about this.

Obviously there is an aesthetic impact, but if I found a site with existing walls built for wind breaks I think I would be pretty happy about it.

I understand demolishing snow caves due to it causing a potential hazard to future hikers/users.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

The folks I bp with will fill in best we can any holes, especially if in an area where skiers may travel through on their way down a hill. Snow sets up pretty hard overnight, so you can only do so much. You can't totally remove your traces, it's not like it will take decades for nature to recover from your stay. Next storm, all looks fine, summer comes, nothing. On my solo trips, I'll throw a few shovels of snow in the hole in front of my shelter where I had sat cooking.
    Duane

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I wonder about this too. I agree (until I'm told I'm 'wrong') that it depends on the spot.

If its in the campground area I'll leave it. …Helps others and I'd like to find em If I was camping there. But if it were in the trail or a ski lane or whatever I'd tear it down.

I think LNT was more aimed at taking care of the Earth rather than making it purty for people. But if safety is an issue, as with skiing, tear it down.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools