Topic

Glue for shoe lining repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Glue for shoe lining repair

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    P S

@petesull

I thought one of you MYOG guys might know what glue I should use to glue down the liner of my shoe. I tried Krazy Glue but it was immediately absorbed by the fabric liner.

unglued shoe liner

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Barge cement?

–B.G.–

Madeline T

@madscot13

seam sealer? I use it on fabrics. it might take more than you think though just because it does get absorbed. it is flexible when it dries.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You mean McNett Seam Grip?

or Shoo Goo is pretty much the same stuff

Michael Pappas

@mpap89

Locale: bay area

Use master's cement. I dabble in shoe making and that's what 90% of shoe makers use.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I like Shoo Goo.

Cheers

Madeline T

@madscot13

is shoe goo a lot like seam sealer? I have a tube that i have never cracked opem

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Both Barge and Shoo Goo will work fine. The new formula (blue and black tube) Barge does not have the holding power of the older yellow and red tubes. Shoo Goo is forgiving but avoid putting on too thick.

Bill

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"seam sealer" is a non specific term – there's McNett Seam Grip for polyurethane coatings, various silicone sealers for silnylon,…

McNett Seam Grip and Shoo Goo are both polyurethane. I think they're pretty interchangeable. Maybe Shoo Goo is thicker? It's intended application is like fixing the sole of a shoe. McNett Seam Grip intended application is sealing seams and patching holes.

McNett and Shoo Goo have a short shelf life, especially after you open them. I had some Shoo Goo that was partially dried out so I added some Toluene or whatever the solvent is. It identifies it on the outside of the package. That stuff is very unhealthful, so maybe you should let it dry outside or in garage.

Another thing about the polyurethanes is they don't dry good. Even after days, if you have two surfaces that were coated, and they touch each other, they will stick and you can't get them apart. It will peel the polyurethane off one of the two surfaces. You have to rub some powder on the surfaces to make them non tacky. Like talc, or dried clay from soil, or scrape wall board compound,…

David Hunter

@mdhunter

"Freesole" works great for anything on shoes and boots.

David Gutz
    BPL Member

@davegutz1957

Two thumbs up on the “Freesole.”   Amazon carries it:  Gear Aid Freesole Urethane Formula Shoe Repair 1oz.

Drop Bear
    BPL Member

@dropbear

I keep a tube Freesole in the freezer.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

Shoe Goo is widely avaible.  I believe you can get it at Home Depot.  It is very thick, very sticky stuff so don’t put it on too thick or you’ll have a mess of squeeze out when you assemble the parts.  Its also good for repairing other things.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve use Shoo Goo for years to reinforce wear areas on my uppers and soles and had very good results. It also works great on wear areas on packs and sewn up holes in tent floors.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools