Topic

Shirt for chilly mornings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shirt for chilly mornings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I am a dirty person in the backcountry and dont care who knows. And as for "post hike" I am STILL dirty and dont care who knows. I just went backpacking of course I smell. I would just wear the long sleeve currently in the pack or my down sweater till warmed up then take it off. but hiking in the 50's is T-shirt and shorts weather as far as im concerned. I even hike through the showers that the sierras get with out rain gear just cause I would sweat to bad wearing rain gear in 50 degree temps while hikeing anyway.

As far as meeting women in the back country just meet women and ease them into it by buying them things. Start with patagonia clothes they love those. Then bam hit um with a backpack.

Note: Be prepared to have to join a new forum (backpacking heavy)cause you might end up carrying some(most) of her gear.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The situation you describe is exactly when i practically live in my windshirt! That's what a windshirt is for, to keep out the wind and act as a lightweight wrap when it's a bit too cool for shirt sleeves. I'm allergic to sunscreen, so long sleeves are my only sun protection for my arms. If you really want to hike in the short sleeved shirt, those added sleeves would be a good idea; they'll keep bugs and sun off when needed. I agree with those who say that if your windshirt doesn't work for you in those situations, that's where you should look first–probably for a more breathable one.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I was hiking the other morning, temps about 50 degrees. The breeze was blowing just enough to bring a chill, but not nearly cold enough for my Montbell down jacket."

IMO, the less pieces I bring, the better. This means making each existing piece do more work. Sure, maybe it isn't THAT cold to wear a MontBell down jacket by necessity — but will you melt away uncomfortably if you did?? Put it on. And later, as the sun shines brighter, exchange for a rain or wind jacket instead…

Tim Klaus

@wwhermit

Locale: So Cal

Lots of opinions, and much great advice given.

I have a Stoic Wraith windshirt. It weighs 2 ounces. Windshirts protect from the wind to shed off cold. If I'm in the wind, and NOT reaching for my windshirt, I think you all are spot-on, and I should be looking for a windshirt I like better! Mostly, the windshirt was put on over the Montbell jacket as an extra layer. I didn't care how it felt, because it wan't against my skin. However, if it could be doing double duty, and it isn't, well then I guess it's time to consider a replacement.

Which leads me to this….what's a good, breathable, comfortable windshirt you might suggest? For those that really find it invaluable.

I also like the idea of smartwool sleeves. I'll be checking those out as well, but will have to make the decision of which to go with.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Get a Houdini.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

Get a Houdini. +1

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

The Houdini is accepted by most to be the best(me included). Check the Gear Deals section, there are a couple posts about Houdini's for ~$60.

Ryan

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Toss the short-sleeve and get a lightweight long sleeve baselayer instead, with sleeves you can roll up. Preferably zip-neck for more comfort (both cooler AND warmer than a short sleeve). Less layer changing, also.

A Cap 2 1/4 zip is a good option for this – loose enough sleeves and a great big zip. I also like the Outdoor Reserach Echo 1/4 zip shirt, or a Patagonia Merino 2 1/4 zip for cooler temperatures.

With a long sleeve, you don't have to deal with a windshirt against skin. Based on experience, if you're uncomfortable with the Stoic Wrath in short sleeves, you'll also be uncomfortable with the Houdini in short sleeves. IMO, on skin, they don't really feel that different from each other.

In warmer temperatures, when I know I won't need a windshirt, I'll switch to a loose long sleeve button up shirt – again, cooler AND warmer than a short sleeve shirt.

You use less sunscreen this way, also.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don't do well in cold. But I am not going to carry a 2nd set of anything. Normally a base layer I hike in, shorts, bottom baselayer when needed, a windshirt and a puffy (which I rarely hike in).

On one trip we had unexpected high winds and temps down near freezing when we started off in the morning. I wore my windshirt under the puffy so it the puffy would not get damp. Cap 1's under my shorts. I was wearing every piece of clothing I had brought… and it worked… no extra unneeded weight. After an hour or so I removed most of the clothes. Yes, I was warm at the start and I had to stop to change… not a big deal to me to stop for 60 seconds and remove layers. If I am moderately cold in the morning I suck it up for about 15 minutes and then everything equalizes.

fashion statement
    Fashion Statement

Top:
    Short sleeve mesh baselayer
    Houdini
    Montbell Ex UL vest

Bottom
    Cap 1
    Patagonia Baggies

Other
    eVent baseball cap
    wool glove liners

jim logan
    BPL Member

@jim_logan

Here I go again. Arm warmers make a short-sleeved shirt a long-sleeved one; stunningly, it does the reverse, too. They are especially useful for reconfiguring your attire while moving, lessening or increasing warmth is simple and easy. I prefer wool to lycra, and Smartwool warmers are quite acceptable.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Which leads me to this….what's a good, breathable, comfortable windshirt you might suggest? For those that really find it invaluable."

My favorite is the Haglofs Shield.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

perhaps the marmot driclime would be a better suited windshirt for your situation. it has a membrane on the inside of the windshirt that is almost like a wicking fleece, but not so thick and heavy. pretty breathable and comfortable enough on the arms…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

+1 on the Driclime suggestion.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools