Topic

best price on spinnaker? plus spinnaker question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear best price on spinnaker? plus spinnaker question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

considering using spinnaker for the upcoming family tipi project, and unfortunately i'll need quite a few yards. i may sew one from cheap silnylon first, then decide if i want to spring for the spinnaker. any secret tips on where i can get spinnaker at a good price?

also, for those of you who have worked with spinnaker, i have a question about its weaknesses. the way i will be sewing the tipi (titanium-goat style), the seam with most of the stress placed on it will be sewn so that the stress is pulling perpendicularly away from the selvage edge of the fabric (although there will be spots where the stress will pull parallel to the selvage edge as well). does spinnaker have any shortcomings in applying stress in any particular dimension?

thank you for any and all info.

Mike Maurer

@maurer

Locale: Oregon

Colleen,

I might be able to help you out. email me at maurer at earthlink dot net and I'll explain.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I got a bunch of spinnaker from Mike a few months ago and it's working out well in a tarp project. You won't be able to beat his price anywhere so if he has enough, go for it.

I haven't set up my tarp yet so I can't comment on its strengths and weaknesses but I will comment on the use of seam-sealer for both its waterproofing as well as strengthening capabilities.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools