Topic

What kind of fabric is this?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What kind of fabric is this?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

Can anyone help me identify what kind of fabric this is? It's more for my own curiosity and so I can compare it when shopping for new clothing.

It's a Patagonia quarter-zip top and I bought it 5-7 years ago and the printed tag is no use.

Fabric 1

fabric 2

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

Maybe their 'Regulator' grid fleece?

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

There's no grid inside of the shirt like the R1.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

I thought maybe you just wore it the grid out.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Nope, it's been this way ever since I bought it. Thanks though!

If I can figure out what this is, it might quench my desire to buy an R1 or something comparable.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Looking online, I'm guessing its Cap 3…but not sure since I don't have a Cap 3 shirt to compare it to.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Looks like an older style cap3

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

I have this exact item. It's Cap3 for sure.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I have a 1/4 zip Cap 3, long sleeve, in black that looks about the same. I'd say 2009 Cap 3.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If there is a tag near the lower left with the care tag and you can read "style" numbers, we may be able to track that.

Hard to read, but style 26651S0 = Lightweight Sun Hoody, Summer 2010
    Patagonia tag

Another version, 84700FA11 = Down Sweater Full Zip Hoody, Fall 2011.
    See http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-down-sweater-full-zip-hoody?p=84700-0-331
    Patagonia tag

Older tags can be much smaller and very plain without all the Patagonia stuff on the tag, just "cut" and "style" and country of manufacture. I was identifying a Capilene zip top I got for my daughter and could just make out "44274" and found this web page with a ton of info: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-24345.html So I have a Capilene mid weight top

Trailspace.com is a very good resource for identifying gear.

I would love to get set of swatches with all the Patagonia fabrics. Patagonia is actually pretty easy if you have the tag number. The ones that make me crazy are the older Outdoor Research items. They have cranked out so many items over the years. I'll bet they have marketed a couple hundred hat models. The new ones have an actual model name on a tag– if you're lucky.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Dale, your first picture is close, but my fabric has more of a cross-hatched pattern instead of a rectangular hole pattern (for lack of better words).

I looked at the tag, and this is the info I have – RN: 51884, CUT: 41546, STY: 44440F8 <—that's a zero before the F, not an O

And two other sets of numbers with no identifying text: 888052763766 and 0467238961

Anyway, I've had no luck on trailspace or google. It insulates really well, so I think it might be Cap 3, but if someone is able to use this info to find out for sure, that would be cool.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

Search "Patagonia 44440" on Google. It's Cap 3 made in Fall 2008. Thanks to Dale for the lesson in reading their labels.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Thanks Peter! Didn't think to only put the digits.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I concur!

http://reviews.patagonia.com/9248/44440/reviews.htm

Back when I sold auto parts, I used to say, "if I can't find it, there are only two reasons: it doesn't exist, or you really didn't need it in the first place!"

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools