Topic

Sailright Ultrafeed vs home sewing machine for Bilgy Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sailright Ultrafeed vs home sewing machine for Bilgy Tent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

My girlfriend is sewing us a Bilgy tent and has a question for the sewing guru's

I bought a bilgy kit from quest outfitters and would really like to start work on it while I have this week off. I am trying to figure out how to use my mother’s sailrite ultrafeed, but am struggling with adjusting the tension properly. I also have a home sewing machine from the 90s that belonged to my grandmother. I used it to make a kite from rip stop a few weeks ago and it did okay and is generally an easy to use machine. Is it worth wrestling with the sail rite so I can use the true walking foot, or should I use the home machine and possibly get a Teflon, roller, or walking foot for it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Don't know the Sailrite.
    But a domestic machine WITH a roller foot should do fine.

Cheers

Michael Pappas

@mpap89

Locale: bay area

in my experience, sewing lightweight fabrics is more trouble than it's worth with the sailrite. I too had trouble getting the tension right for silNylon.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I looked the Sailrite ultrafeed up on their web site.
    From all I could read, I don't think this is the right machine for silnylon. 12 oz Duck, sure. 4 layers of solid nylon webbing, equally.

Cheers

Ryan K
    Spectator

@thesergeant

Locale: Ryan

I own a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 and a couple home sewing machines. Without a doubt go with a home machine for sil. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of my Sailrite and it certainly isn't the best tool for sil, ripstop, or even 500d/1000d cordura.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm also looking for a nice home machine that will do Silnylon, I've been looking at the Janome HD 1000 and the Juki TL98Q. Does anybody have any thoughts on these machines? I like the Janome a little more because of the zigzag feature, but the Juki also has some great features, but it's only a straight stitch.

Jack

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have a Janome that isn't made any more. I have used it a lot without any problems. I have never serviced it, except I vacuumed it a couple times.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Update: So far she has had no problems with the normal home machine with the roller foot. she started a new job last week and then got the Flu this weekend so progress has slowed a bit. Not going to use it for a while anyway so that isn't a big deal

asolthane
    BPL Member

@asolthane

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Does anyone have good luck sewing light fabric with the sailrite?</p>

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!