Topic

Torso Length Pad Users – How do you deal with a soaked backpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Torso Length Pad Users – How do you deal with a soaked backpack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Locale: North GA

For folks that use a torso length pad for their upper body and put their pack under their legs, how do you deal with a rain soaked pack? What have you done to keep your quilt/bag and insulation reasonably dry?

I tried searching for a good answer to this, but I didn't have much luck. If you know of a thread I should read, please point me toward it. Thanks!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I know some folk put packs in a bin liner.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I use the torso pad and nothing underneath my legs.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Depending on what you use, you can put your wet pack inside your pack liner. If you turn the liner inside out, your wet pack won't get the liner wet on the inside.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sleep without the wet pack under your bag/legs until it's dry.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

You could slip your pack under the tent and let the tent floor protect you from its wetness.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I put it under my bivy or groundsheet.

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

"put your wet pack inside your pack liner" with liner turned inside out +1

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Trashbag

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My pack doesn't get soaked. My poncho serves as rain gear, pack cover, and sometimes ground sheet. Current one only weighs 4 ounces too.

If my pack were to get wet, it wouldn't be a problem because I seem to sleep fine with a torso length pad and don't need anything at the bottom. This includes foam pads, BPL TorsoLite and a NeoAir.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I use a short neoair and have my gossamer 3 fold backpad/sitpad for under my legs. If that gets a little wet it can be dried pretty easy with a bandana. Ill put my pack under my sitpad sometimes but the sitpad is usually enough.

Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Locale: North GA

Thanks for all of the input guys. Lots of solid, simple ways to manage the issue. I'll probably just stick it beneath my ground sheet (or bivy when I'm using one). Easy fix. Thanks!

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Since I use a Murmur or Mariposa, I have a GG SitLight pad as a frame. My pack doesn’t get too wet since I use a combo of cheap poncho and strong GoLite umbrella. The small SitLight pad with bumps up does fine under my feet. And those pads really don’t hold water and thus don’t get ‘wet’.

Good luck with the sleep system,
    -Barry
    -The mountains were made for Tevas

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools