Topic

aquamira during pregnancy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) aquamira during pregnancy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luke Khuu

@ninhsavestheday

Is aquamira safe during pregnancy? if not what is a good alternative?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

That is a good question. I would do some research into what municipal water companies do to clean up their water. Probably similar to AquaMira… although that doesn't mean either would be safe.

Jan S

@karl-ton

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=1289

I usually hope that the limits set by government agencies tend more to the safe side, so if concentrations exceed them to a degree, you're still safe. But then again people should make their own judgement call and risk assessment.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Not really MORE but be sure to use ENOUGH. Chlorine is what your city uses to purify your drinking water. Doseages while backpacking are a few times higher, because you have less contact time, but again, please use enough chlorine treatment while pregnant.

If you contract some bacterial disease, several antibiotics can be used during pregnancy, but when there are such demands on your body, better to not get sick at all.

And if you get a parasite? That's bad. That's why pregnant women are advised to not eat sushi – the slight chance of getting a multi-cellular parasite. There are drugs to treat various parasites, but when pregnant, you're trying to nurture a particular multi-cellular "parasite" in your uterus and most (all?) anti-parasite drugs are known to cause fetal damage.

I (civil engineer) have backpacked and world-traveled during my (MD) wife's three pregnancies. She's carrying more weight, especially late in the pregnancy. He can carry a little more fuel to boil water and, when treating with chlorine, carry the treated water a little longer for her (more contact time) to be as safe as possible.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

In the whole scope of things, we know very little about the effects chemicals can have on us….particularly embryogenesis. We do know that the developing embryo can be extremely sensitive to extremely low doses of certain chemicals at certain stages. Then, factor in what the Government Accountability Office says about the EPA's chemical regulatory process…. and the picture gets rather disturbing.

Why take the chance with chemicals? Lot's of other options available. For instance, if it's viruses one is concerned with, a Steripen can be used. If the water is too turbid for the Steripen, one could filter it first then use the Steripin. Or, the First Need Deluxe filters and takes care of viruses without any chemicals….though it's a bit heavier than most filters on the market.

Knowing more about your locale, desires, etc would garner more specific suggestions/options.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Only her OB/GYN should answer this question.

From Aqua Mira website:

"Can I take Potable Aqua® Chlorine Dioxide tablets while I'm pregnant?
    Using Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets as directed on the label for short-term emergency drinking water disinfection is not likely to be deleterious to women or the fetus, as chlorine dioxide is commonly used to treat city water, but it is recommended that women check with their doctors before using Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets during their pregnancy."

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Why not just filter with a Sawyer then hit it with a steripen for extra measure? 8oz for fresh tasting and safe water.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools