Topic

Tyvek world map jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tyvek world map jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

Hey everyone,

Knowing of my love for travel and the world in general, my girlfriend bought me this jacket about 5 years ago and since then it has become famous amongst my friends and has started more conversations than I can count. It is basically a tyvek jacket with a world map printed on it. I thought I would share it with everyone as it is the most ridiculous piece of clothing I have ever owned, which just happens to be a really useful piece of ultralight gear. Don't you just love it when you weigh something you have owned for years and discover it's ultralight without even trying?

World map jacket - front view

World map jacket - rear view

Hooded version – http://www.lesliejordan.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=49
    Hoodless version with collar – http://www.lesliejordan.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=51
    Hoodless collarless version (this is the one I own) – http://www.lesliejordan.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=50
    Poncho version – http://www.lesliejordan.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=80

It is pretty good in the rain, highly windproof, breathes pretty well. I would class it as a windshirt rather than a rain shell. Not the most durable piece of clothing ever I guess, but it has lasted me 5 years of use hiking and drunkenly dancing at parties so it has lasted admirably really.

I have the hoodless, collarless version in small and it weighs 4 7/8 oz and packs up to the size of a soda can. I am 140 pounds, 5'10" with a 38" chest and it fits me fine with a baselayer and lightweight fleece underneath. if I were to buy another one though I would definitely go for the hooded version in a medium to allow for greater flexibility with layering and greater versatility. Mine has two external waist height zipless pockets and two zipless internal pockets. Some measurements of mine are:

armpit to armpit 20"
    shoulder to sleeve 24"

here is the jacket next to a patagonia down sweater in small for reference

world map jacket with patagonia jacket

My land of birth, the UK in the armpit of the world. he he

armpit of the world

May not be to everyone's liking, and its appearance may very well make some people feel nauseous, but I'm sure there are a few of you who would love one of these. Who ever said ultralight gear has to be boring? he he.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I love it. I am infamous in my group for dressing however the hell I want (yellow cycling caps, bright red shades, and my hiking boots are Lime), but it's tough sometimes when the grey/black raincoat goes on sale…

I'm about to get a new backpack and I'm paying $30 extra bucks to order from the site that stocks yellow. Sue me!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Do you ever have to stand on one leg in order to orient it to north?

–B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You just wait. In an a couple of months you will see some hipster wearing this at your local coffee house.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Let's see what their printing process is. Imagine having a jacket with a trail map for every trip. Now that's multi-use!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I remember when those "world map versions" were going around, and there were a fair number of them on people in San Diego. Tyvek had a trendy-material love affair with designers for a bit there.

Now, printing up Tom Harrison maps on these things… that could be downright cool.

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

A trail map jacket would be awesome if you hike the same trails more than once. Makes it doubly important that you don't lose your map I guess. Would be great to have one made if you were doing something like the Appalachian trail or some other long trip – you could mark your progress as you go.

The ultimate addition to the jacket, a zip puller compass:

zip puller compass

I think these jackets are a relatively well kept secret as I've never seen or heard about anyone else who also owns one. Maybe I should have put a disclaimer on the thread title like *warning: Hipsters stay away*. Don't tell too many people and it will be our little secret ;).

And Max, I know the feeling. I recently gave into reason and bought a black raincoat (it has a silver stripe on it though which I was happy with). Was tough not to go for red, but stealthy camping and bright colours generally don't mix well.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

They have handed out Tyvek jackets like this for the Seattle-to-Portland "STP" bike race and I run across one now and then. They are super light and very water and wind resistant. They can be expensive to buy one-off and are usually marketed by promotional supply firms. They are at least as durable as a Driducks. A hoody would be the thing. Not as breathable as a good windshirt, IMHO. I am surprised they haven't been more popular in UL circles.

American Apparel once sold a plain version for $40!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I see them at Goodwill every once in a while for a couple bucks.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

"I think these jackets are a relatively well kept secret as I've never seen or heard about anyone else who also owns one."

I don't know about it being much of a secret, as for years now a basic google image search for "Tyvek Jacket" prominently displayed that global map jacket. There was also some interest in them on BPL a while back:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20310

I think they just fell out of fashion, so you now really have to worry about hipsters reviving them.

What I have wanted for years is a way to get Tyvek ground sheets with different Harrison maps printed on them.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I see France gets the body odour. I wouldn't be a Brit if I didn't mention that :-)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I see France gets the body odour. I wouldn't be a Brit if I didn't mention that :-)

Now that is one of the funniest posts I have seen in quite a while.

BTW, you misspelled odor. When are you Brits and Aussies going to learn to spell and get rid of all those extraneous "u" letters. It is not lightweight, it makes books and magazines heavier with all that extra ink :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was rummaging around and found mine. It is from the STP '07 race (I didn't get it there) 4.4oz in XL size and note that it has a full mesh vent from cuff to waist (2"-3" wide) and the cuffs and collar are Tyvek and not knit. It even has hand pockets.Tyvek jacketTyvek jacketTyvek jacketTyvek jacket

Leslie Jordan in Portland markets these things and they are $49.95, at least that is listed on the web page.

http://www.lesliejordan.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=35

I did find an old thread with a hoody:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20310

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools