Topic

Downloading Articles as PDF’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Downloading Articles as PDF’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Carter

@qoutdoor

Can someone enlighten me as to how to download a given article as a PDF?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

While on the article page, click on the "print" button right under the rating box at the top of the article. A new window should appear. When it does, click on your browser options and click 'print." On a Mac, I go to "file" then "Print." When your printer options box pops up, you may have an option to "print to PDF" or "save as PDF" or something like that. I do on a Mac at least. Then, just click that, and bingo! PDF on your computer.

Leigh Carter

@qoutdoor

I click on the print icon to see a print view of the article and it opens it in a new browser window. But I can only then save it a an HTML. I am on windows machine.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Google cutepdf, primopdf, nitropdf among others. All offer free Windows versions that emulate the applescript PDF code that's embedded in OSX.

Leigh Carter

@qoutdoor

As an annual member one of the benefits that I should have is free downloads of all the articles as PDF's. When I print to cutePDF the formating is not great from HTML. If someone knows how to get the PDF directly that would be great.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

There is no way to get any article directly as a PDF, it's simply not offered. Your only option is to print through software that offers PDF as a print option, as others have stated above.

Long ago there was a print magazine – hasn't been printed in years. You can get those old magazines as PDFs, that's it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

What I do when I wish to keep an article is to copy / paste to Word. Oftentimes, I do it by section — instead of copy/paste in its entirety — to avoid ugly, mismatched pics and margins and all that. A bit labor intensive, but very do-able. Once in Word, most modern office suites will give you the option to print to PDF file format instead of sending to the printer. If your word processor doesn't have this function, there are free apps you can download to give you the option.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Try this if you'd rather not tinker with downloads.

Quick, simple and free:
    http://www.web2pdfconvert.com/

Joshua B
    BPL Member

@leukos

Locale: Indy

Just do a search for "free HTML to PDF converter" there are a few available for PC windows.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Save as HTML, open in recent version of word and you should be able to save as pdf too without having to install 3rd party software.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Save as HTML, open in recent version of word and you should be able to save as pdf
    > too without having to install 3rd party software.
    Works very easily. But you need Word.

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

primopdf

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

You're right Roger, but I figure most people that run Windows and don't know about third party pdf printers are likely to own word as well. Years of IT consulting has also taught me people treat their computers about as knowledgeably as their cars; so as soon as they hear the word "install" they assume some kind of technician is necessary.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools