Topic

cheap + light backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) cheap + light backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Against theGrain
    BPL Member

@againstthegrain

Locale: Selkirks

I just purchased one of these from MEC. It's by no means the worlds best pack but thought it looked like a great bag for fast day scrambles when I bring harness, axe and rope and could also do even up to 3 days backpacking.

Super cheap, light and customisable to be even lighter and comes with the MEC warranty (Don't like it return it). Great for those of us without access to a sewing machine to make a wicked light pack.

What do you guys think?

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Daypacks/PRD~5028-695/mec-alpinelite-24-backpack-unisex.jsp

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Makes me pine for the days (not all that long ago) when 75 US cents could buy us a loonie. Sigh….

But back to topic — not real light for 24L but not heavy either — and the pack looks good!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looks like a nice pack for the money. Good for climbing with the trim exterior.

I do like outside water bottle pockets and they add capacity to a small pack. For hiking, I would go with the new REI Flash 22 at that size/weight/cost. $49.95US and 453g/16oz.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the previous generation alpinelite ~20 litres were known as some of the best packs in that price range ….

MEC gear is "cheap" … but not low quality … and has a better warranty than many $$$$ manufacturers …

theres really no reason for a mass manufactured pack to cost an arm and a leg … other than marketing …

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I really like these MEC Packs

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/Daypacks/PRD~5023-571/mec-travel-light-top-loader.jsp

They are a real nice pack for quick overnights if you have crunched your volume down enough. I plan to add on water bottle pockets or else water bottle holders on the shoulder straps to make it a little more useful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools