Topic

Has anyone Climbed Mt Shasta?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Has anyone Climbed Mt Shasta?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

I'm thinking about Climbing mt shasta in June by the Avalanche Gulch Route. Anyone have any advise?

ROyal

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Depending on you and any companions experience and fitness level it shouldn't be diffcult, the route is very straight forward. You want an early am start so it doesn't turn into a slogfest and dodgeball event and be liberal with the sunscreen or even zinc oxide. Be prepared for company if you choose a weekend. Take a mountaineering class if you are in need of instruction. Good Luck.

Janet Brewster

@jgranite25

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I climbed Shasta in a day last July, via Avalanche Gulch. It was a very long day, 2:30am – 3pm, but it was nice not having to carry a full pack. Snowshoed up to Lake Helen, and then used crampons above that. There's a lot less snow this year, though….

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Thanks for the advise everyone. I just came back from cimbing shasta and it was great! The glissade from red banks to lake helen was AWSOME! Both of my buddys got alttitude sickness and one of them had to turn around. While the alttitude slowed me down I didn't get sick, which was nice. I'd never done a alpine style climb like that before…now I'm hooked!

Royal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools