Topic

Fosters Pot — handle mod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fosters Pot — handle mod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I've been busy this winter and keep forgetting to show you guys my finished gear.

The first post I'll be making is the handle I made out of a "fancy paperclip".

Here's what you need: 8g clip

Weighs in at 8g before you chop apart.
    Cut out the middle piece and then bond/glue the two ends to the side of your pot.
    After that just bend the "arms" so that they are curved and contour to the pot's shape…it helps if you detach them, which is very easy to do.

Total weight is 40g even including the pot lid.

More pics:

Top view (Fosters handle)

Fosters held by handle

Overall, it's not the greatest handle in the world but it does work pretty well for around 7g extra weight. With a full pot of water it provides enough support to move it off the stove and into a cozy…though I'm not sure I trust it enough yet to start drinking hot water from it (afraid of the handle slipping and scalding my face) but like I mentioned, I have a reflectix cozy for that…since the handles are easily removed I can boil water and then attach the arms when I need to move it.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Very clever. Excellent mod.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Interesting approach. The cans I used had the ring left at the top after removing the top with a safety can opener. I drilled holes just under the lip and mounted split rings. You could grab the rings if not too hot, hook one, or put a stake or stick straight through both rings to lift.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Nice idea. I hope it will work for you. Use cold water for testing :-)

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

@Dale — yeah, that's definitely going to be lighter. Only downside I see is that it would difficult to pour using that…then again, that's not the functionality of how I'm envisioning it.

@Dan
    — I have tested this out around 4-5 times now.

The flaw in the design is that the handles are rather short so the grip is awkward; I would say that it is a good pouring handle but a poor drinking handle…I've found that with similar handles you find in commercial gear this holds fairly true as well though.

I still want to compare using a ring of carbon felt, silicone or fiberglass but that will happen soon enough.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools