Topic

Square water bottle ~ 20oz? Anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Square water bottle ~ 20oz? Anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Im thinking about attaching some (2) bottles on my shoulder straps.

It seems like if the bottle was square there would be less movement side to side.

Triangle would also work just as well.

Ill order off the internet if needed.

TYIA.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Fiji water bottles have the shape you are looking for.

michael levi

@m-l

They are very short and fat though right?

I'm looking for something fairly streamlined.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Salomon makes triangle shaped ones. I think mine is 16oz. but may be 20.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

You might want to try sticking the water bottle in one of the pouches, like Zpacks…
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

…and Simblissity sell.
    http://simblissity.net/

If they don't work out for water, you can always cram your GPSr, wallet, iPhone, small camera, etc. in there.

Just my 2¢ worth…

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The ULA pack method (shockcord) works best in my experience for securing water bottles to shoulder straps. I never found the various pouches to work well. The round shape doesn't roll around much with the shockcord and I wouldn't bother with a square bottle – just go to your grocery store and get the skinniest bottle you can find.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

+1 to what my "brother" John Harper said about the bungee system. I've used this for years and the bouncing is almost nil. Just tighten and hike.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I love the Platypus Plus bottles:

http://www.campsaver.com/platy-plus-bottle

I typically keep one on each shoulder strap. They are made of tough, rubbery urethane film that is much more resistant to puncture than the PET film used in most soft bottles. They are lighter than rigid bottles, they conform to irregular spaces inside the pack if slightly underfilled, they will flatten against a shoulder strap, and (most importantly to me) they don't slosh if you expel the air.

Randy Amos
    Spectator

@randyamos

Locale: Indiana

I have to agree with the ULA style with shock cord! I have used it a few time now and love it. Super simple and it does not matter what bottle you use. I get very little movement with round bottles even they are full. I actually saw the idea from Sticks Blog. He has a pretty good tutorial on how he does it.

michael levi

@m-l

Yes I am planning on using the ULA method, I still think a square bottle would be a little more secure.

Jeff Gray

@jeffgray

The thing I've noticed is that it matters if the bungie has something to hold it in position. I used the method as documented in Stick's blog. It worked well enough, though some minor issues because the shock cord moved up and down since there was just smooth strap for it to go around.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

All the pocket and bungie rigs I've used have allowed for at least a little motion of the bottle when shoulder strap mounted, something for which I have no patience. In the last few years I've been carrying either a wide mouth 16oz nalgene or 20oz bike bottle on my shoulder strap with a Voile ski strap cinched through the hole into which my sternum strap mounts.

Like this: http://bedrockandparadox.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/img_6947.jpg?w=650&h=420

With this rig the bottle is totally stable and still easy to grab. I've done the same with larger, liter bottles, but the weight and size is a bit more than I prefer.

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

I use the 700ml smart water bottles on my circuit. They fit good and have a flip top cap so I can one hand open it.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

+1 of the Fiji water bottles. Free water inside of them, from Fiji.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Michael,

US Plastic Corporation.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=73043&gclid=CN_14IKq_bUCFVGRPAodsk0AQg

16 oz and 32 oz, no 20 oz. :-(

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=34244

They are Nalgenes sold by US Plastic Corporation. Prices seem reasonable.

Party On,

Newton

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

My experience is that a square or triangle shaped bottle really won't help much with the side-to-side sway. Water is dense, and the top bungie connection is high on the bottle, so the bottle will sway unless you 1) have it in a pocket or 2) have it secured with 2 bungies like ULA.

On my non-ULA packs I thread 2 bungies on each shoulder strap, about 4"-5" apart in height. Works great with the round 24-oz Camelbak squeeze bottles I use.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

FWIW,

I regularly carry round water bottles in the two point ULA type bungee method and have had zero problems with sway.

4 pieces of 1/8" shock cord and 4 toggles keep everything from disposable 16 oz water bottles up to my peanut jar water bottles.

Re-purposed Great Value peanut jar in ULA style bungees

The shape of the bottle "vis a vis" the narrower spots where the bungee cord can be located is key to a secure carry. A simple overhand knot at the end of the bungee and a good quality strong toggle completes the ULA type system.

Party On,

Newton

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Only 18.5 oz but should be what you want. Available at Walmart and Costco

michael levi

@m-l

That looks like the winner so far, thanks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools