Topic

Stuff sacks for sleeping bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stuff sacks for sleeping bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Stephen, great idea on the exped schnozzle. Not sure if the WM versalite will fit but I will check. I could then put the Downmat UL7 at the bottom of my bag and then use the pumpbag as a sack for my sleeping bag and place that next. Will try this on my next trip.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

While I use a pack liner, I MYOG stuff sack to fit the pack. This way I get the most amount of pressure for the pack to fit in my lumbar curve. Often I will still have to stuff additional items on the other side of the sb to get the bottom filled out (depends on the size of the sleeping bag.

I oversize the stuff sacks I make compared to what the manufacturer supplies. I still can't believe how small the stuff sack was that came with my wifes Helium.

I make mine out of cuben, and the design is from Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking. It has a collar that can be twisted and tucked in to make the stuff sack water proof.

Steve

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Sean,

My WM Alpinelite packs down quiet small inside it along with a lightweight down parka.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I am old-fashioned, I suppose, in terms of a "Be Prepared" mentality based in having been in hard weather or other situations and so I try to balance wisdom with lightweight. Wisdom and a predilection for an old pack.

So, I use "waterproof" silnylon stuff sacks for my down bag, my down puffy and my "ditty bag". I carry my other clothing pressed flat in slippery, clear gallon ziplocks that keep dry clothes dry and wet clothes from affecting the rest of the pack and then utilize a trash-compactor bag and construction string for my pack cover in rain. My pack has been sprayed with a silicone analog to Scotch-Guard, and it beads water if wet.

A liner-bag doesn't work well for my system, because my pack has six distinct compartments, but the tried-and-true systemic approach to gear management has kept my gear dry in extended rains, after a dropped pack in the river that resulted in what must have been 80 plus lbs of weight to pull out of the water when I got to it and in fair weather where the simple organization and ability to press-out air from clothes makes for easy packing, finding and moving of gear from pack to tent, etc…

In terms of the stuff sacks, I think those E-Vent bottomed sacks are super cool and have been lusting for them, but I've been satisfied with the Sea-To-Summit silnylon bags which are available in different volumes for jackets, bags and etc… For the small stuff, the "waterproof nylon" bags sold in the 3-pack at Walmart for ten bucks have been great. 3 sizes and colors in one pack, with roll-tops.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"In terms of the stuff sacks, I think those E-Vent bottomed sacks are super cool…"

+1

I use a Large to hold my Helium, puffy jacket, sleeping socks, etc. When closed but not compressed it completely fills my Ohm. As I lean on it the air goes out and I can squish it into the bottom of the pack. As I load in more, the stuff settles in to the bag and squishes out more air. I end up with a very compact bottom layer, with no voids or hollows. Every bit of space is filled/used.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools