Topic

Sunday projects… rain jacket, layover pack, pillows

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sunday projects… rain jacket, layover pack, pillows

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Seems like I rarely have time to tackle big projects lately, but I had fun doing these small ones to solve a few gear quandaries.

I've been looking for small summit packs to take for side hikes on layover days. We tried the Sea to Summit "Ultra-Sil" daypack but the straps are horrible; I'm not convinced it was designed to actually carry anything. We really like the REI Flash 18 but they're pretty heavy. I made these from 1.9oz silnylon (which feels a lot more robust than the 1.1oz sil) and thru-hiker 3D Mesh for the straps. They weigh 2.8 oz (only 0.4oz more than the Sea to Summit packs.)
    layover packs

Quest had some 2-layer Hi-Vent fabric that looked interesting, so I made this simple anorak. I really love this fabric! Very breathable, really nice soft drape. Weighs 4.3 oz.
    jacket

I think I've finally found my pillow solution. I'm a side sleeper and like soft thick pillows. I've tried them ALL… and the only one I've liked is the old Thermarest foam ones that I use for car camping. But they weigh 7oz. So, I made a hybrid pillow attached to a pillow case. The pillow part is lined with climashield and filled with about a 1/3 of the Thermarest pillow foam pieces. In the picture, the top pillow has my Montbell down inner stuffed in the case part, the bottom pillow shows the pillowcase back. Made from 1.1oz nylon. 3.4oz each.
    pillows

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nice rain jacket, I am not familiar with Hi vent, any idea of the breathability and HH figures?

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Sorry, I don't. But my husband has a Marmot jacket with their "MemBrain Strata" and the fabrics seem very, very similar. This is what Quest says about the fabric and I believe the Marmot's MemBrain Strata is also a polyurethane coating.

"HI-Vent is created by applying a polyurethane coating with a special DT print matrix which acts as a dry-touch, half-layer coating. This half layer adds durability and comfort by physically separating the hi-vent polyurethane coating from the skin, eliminating the need for a liner. Hi-vent DT is extremely water repellent and wind resistant."

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

Hyvent is the same stuff North Face uses for some of their rain jackets. Backcountry has specs on some. Here's the first I saw.

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-venture-jacket-mens

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's a really nice pullover. I wish I could make things as complicated as that. I only just started MYOG sewing stuff but even then my mom ends up doing almost all of the sewing.

Foo Bar
    BPL Member

@schassey

Locale: Bay Area

Really like those pack- nice and simple and elegantly efficient.

Could I convince you by any chance to post a few more pics- of the straps and the attachment point to the bag?

Thanks!

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Thanks. Construction is really simple — front, sides and bottom are one piece of fabric. I just mitered the corners to create a box. Total volume is about 7L.

Shoulder strap is one piece, more secure attachment and less sag, imo. Made a port for bladder hose.
    attachment

Mitered box corner. 1/2" webbing/buckle.
    pack 2

pack 3

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Sumi, is the mesh on the straps backed with fabric, or just edged? Nice packs!

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

@dk, I used the 3D Mesh from thru-hiker, which is mesh backed with very light fabric (actually a really fine mesh). I edged it using 3/4" grosgrain tape.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Anorak looks great! If you used a pattern, would you mind sharing which one? I have about 3yd of hyvent left in my closet.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

I modified the "Rainier Wind & Rain Suit" pattern by Green Pepper. I used the pattern for the hood, with minor modifications to the drawstring casing, and the raglan sleeves. I changed the front so that it's a simple one-piece design. The zipper is a little longer than the pattern. It would also be easy to add pit-zips (though I personally don't miss them with this fabric.)

I got the pattern from Quest Outfitters but found other sellers as well.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Sweet, thanks for the pictures of the daypacks — I am going to make this exact type of pack for our JMT hike this summer. And now I have a good example for the straps. Love it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools