Topic

Black Diamond Revolt 3xAAA charger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Black Diamond Revolt 3xAAA charger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

It's slightly luxury for lighting, but I thought I would mention it here for those who haven't seen it; the new BD Revolt headlamp has a built-in 3xAAA battery charger (via micro-USB). 3.4 oz without USB cable, spot / dual flood / red flood / strobe. I found it for $40 new on Ebay

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/revolt-headlamp/

It's not waterproof, but is IPX4; it's fine in the rain.
    I haven't used it in the field yet, but it fits a niche for my all-USB electronics kit.
    It also has the intuitive dimming controls I've found on other BD products; you just hold the button down until the dimmer smoothly reaches the level you want.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Thanks for the heads up. I am also going down the USB recharge route. (phone, Steripen Freedom, Petzl with Core battery, Power Chimp nut as solar AA/AAA charger and USB out charging using AA/AAA batteries).

One of the big issues with AA/AAA batteries are units that use 3 cells (SPOT 2, Petzl headlamps) rather than 2 which leads to taking a couple of additional rechargeables. Most chargers recharge in pairs only. The BD seems to solve this but I note that they sell their rechargeable batteries in packs of 4!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, saw this recently as well. I think i may get it not for my normal hiking, backpacking gear system, but for my reserve, possible crap hit the fan and/or long term travel box since i have a decent Solar charger/battery system that using USB plugs. With a few Sanyo rechargeable batteries in there, should have a decent lighting system for awhile if need be.

Marc Loomis
    Spectator

@th12t33n

I have it. I like it so far, because i can charge it off my Powermonkey adventurer, and or my minigorilla battery bank. It also can charge batteries for other things for me once its own are done if im not mistaken. As far as beam quality and longevity of the battery ill have to test it in the field more, I used it this winter and it was in the middle of a somewhat blizzard couldn't see 10 feet really in front of you.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Has anyone used the newer (2014) version of the Black Diamond ReVolt headlamp? Looks like they made a few slight changes compared to the 2013 model (slightly higher output, slightly longer battery life, slightly different white LEDs, possibly different dimmer user interface?).

I too am looking to make a totally USB powered electronics kit for backpacking. I was going to get two Bosavi headlamps for my wife and I, but if I get a ReVolt, my wife could keep using her trusty Petzl Tikka2 and I could charge her AAA batteries when need be with the ReVolt.

Seems like a decent system as long as the ReVolt actually works as advertised…

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

I am looking for advice. My recharge needs are:
    * Single AA battery (Zebralight)
    * USB out (SteriPen)

Is there a practical setup for this? If a pure USB (out) charger is a lot lighter I am willing to consider that plus spare battery for the Zebralight.

How long a trip does one have to take before such a setup is worthwhile?

–MV

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Let me know how your Revolts work.

I had difficulty getting mine 1) to charge from my SUV's USB port and 2) holding a charge for any meaningful amount of time. It seemed that after 30 or 40 minutes of use the batteries died

This is my 2nd bad experience with a rechargeable battery powered product from BD. I think I will avoid a third.

Cheers

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Hmmm. Well that's disconcerting. Maybe I will steer clear for the moment.

I sure wish Bosavi's weren't so expensive!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools