Topic

duomid/sl2 space with inverted poles and opinions on which setup is preferred

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) duomid/sl2 space with inverted poles and opinions on which setup is preferred

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

From my research it appears that both the SL2 and the Duomid are both more 1+ shelters than 2P shelters. I was wondering how crowded it would be in both these shelters if you used inverted poles rather than having them in the middle of the shelter (4 poles for SL2/2 poles for Duomid). Would that make them workable 2P shelters?

Also, could people who have used both give me your opinions on which shelter you preferred based on the location of the poles (middle of the shelter vs. the two ends in the middle)?

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I like the idea of inverted poles in a SL2. (Why didn't I think of that?) I will set mine up tonight in the basement with and without the nest and snap a few pics.

Ben

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

That's how I always set up my Duomid, even just for me. Yes, it's a very workable 2-person shelter with V-shape poles, as long as you're not too tall.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Chaff Lover, are your poles long enough to use inverted or do you use some sort of pole jack for them?

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

I have a Duomid and a Tigoat Vertex 5 (21 oz). While the Duomid is quite doable for two, I prefer the Vertex when sharing. It is easier to get in and out of, has room along the sides for packs, is taller and I prefer the conical footprint over the rectangular. It also spills the wind better. The Duomid is fine for a couple, but when two guys are sharing the one against the back wall has to climb over the other unless you coordinate your inevitable pee breaks.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I use 16 inch pole jacks for my 120cm fixed length trekking poles. They fit my Duomid perfectly for the inverted V set up or just hang it from a tree.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the only way to go for two w/ the Duomid, it's sturdier than a single pole as well- my jacks are 12" using BD adj poles

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Just set up the Shangri La 2 nest. You need to have at least 140CM poles for them to work without a jack and have them on the edge of the nest.

You could set them at 145 and use them on the outside of the nest also. Then you could take down your nest under the tarp if it is raining easier.

BTW Those are 2 long wide exped pads in the nest.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Jay–which inner are you using?

Mike–what length do you have your poles set a with the inverted V?

My Duomid arrived a few weeks ago, and I'm enjoying getting to play with it. Thanks guys.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Clayton- mine are set at full length at the STOP mark, I could have added length to the pole jacks so I wouldn't have to change the length of the poles, but I save a few grams by lengthening the poles out :)

Mike

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Clayton, That is a Bearpaw Wilderness Designs inner. I got it on Gear Swap and it works good for me-it has higher walls all around to prevent side ways rain if need be. I have tried a center pole but it cuts the inner net in half for me which I do not like.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools