Topic

Help please trail runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help please trail runners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Erick Panger
    BPL Member

@eggs

Locale: Mid Life

I'm a big fan of the Inov-8 Roclite 312 GTX. or Inov-8 Roclite 295 But I'm finding it harder and harder to find my size. I just ordered a pair from the UK from Wiggle.com.

Can anyone recommend a similar shoe. I see 50 or 60 trail runner type shoes but trying to figure out which one will be similar to the Inov-8 will be rather daunting.

I'd love to hear from someone that has warn the Inov-8 and then some other shoe and found them as good or better.

I wear a UK 11.5 or US 12.5 I can live with or without GTX.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama
    Erick Panger
    BPL Member

@eggs

For example No not in UK

http://www.wiggle.com/inov-8-roclite-312-gtx-shoes/ $127 with free shipping

http://vip.zappos.com/inov-8-roclite-312-gore-tex-black-silver2 $160 Free shipping

But to get back on topic anyone have any ideas of a similar shoe

Chris Grove

@clgrove

Locale: Colorado Front Range

Running Warehouse has the Roclite 295 in your size right now. Free 2-Day shipping.

Returning to your question–

You need to tell us what you like about the Roclite compared to other trail runners. Is it the fit, the outer sole/tread, the upper, stack height/heel drop, weight, or something else?

I have been wearing the Roclite 268 (ladies version) for 3+ years. For myself, it is a combination of the fit (wide toebox + narrow heel) and the outer sole (handles anything the Pikes Peak region can throw at it).

ChrisG

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

I bought a pair of Roclite 295s to take the place of some cheap Columbia shoes I have had for years. Despite all the marketing hype I haven't found the Roclites to be much superior, same weight, the Inov-8s are a bit baggy around the toe box if anything (I've always considered I have wide feet). One advantage of the Roclite is the fine mesh on the uppers. The old Columbias let sand in through the gauze when walking on the beach/in the outback, after 20 or 30 metres I couldn't fit my foot in the shoe for sand! The styling on the Roclites is pretty cool, the laces pass through straps not eyelets (2012 model), and the knobbly soles give the impression of being more secure. I have read Columbia's soles are slippery in the wet – and the Roclites have sticky rubber but I have never noticed this in practice. I read on Section Hiker that the Roclites dry out quickly, I have to say I've experimented and found this not to be especially the case either. If buying again and Columbias were on sale and they had a very fine mesh or textile top there'd be no question I'd go back to them.

Erick Panger
    BPL Member

@eggs

I like the wide toe box but I do size up a 1/2 size even with these. They just fit my feet well. I get zero heel slip and over all just feel great after a 18 mile day with a heavy pack. I moved from heavy boots to these about a year ago.

They wear faster then a boot would especially on the sides where they get rubbed by rocks.

I add a green set of supper feet insoles to make up for the soft sole since I hike allot in PA where rocks seem to be more knife edge then soft river stone.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/inov-8-roclite-295-trail-running-shoes-minimalist-for-men-and-women~p~5691n/?filterString=s~inov-8%2F&colorFamily=01

Looks to be in your size. I'm confused though, are you located in the UK and need a source over there, or are you in the US? If you're in the states, STP might be the way to go, at least for older model Inov-8 shoes.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

I've always found the Brooks Cascadias to be great hiking shoes. They're a bit heavier than your Inov8s (345g), but I doubt that will matter much for hiking (vs. running). They have certainly been durable for me. They also have a snug heel fit and wide toe box, and are widely available – buy last year's model and save $. If you want something really light & with a low (4mm) heel drop try the La Sportiva Helios. Just 230g! They won't have quite the outsole durability as the Cascadias though.

A W

@lost_01

If we're discussing other shoes: I was about to make a similar post – trying to pick my next pair, and BPL tends to love these three the most:

1) Brooks Cascadia
    Downside to the Brooks Cascadia: Doesn't come in Wide

2) Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra 2
    Downside to the Salomon: Slightly heavier

3) Inov8 Roclite 295 or Terroc 330
    Downside to the Inov8: Tend to run narrow

*not sure which shoes work well with Superfeet inserts, BW

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Can anyone recommend a similar shoe. I see 50 or 60 trail runner type shoes but trying to figure out which one will be similar to the Inov-8 will be rather daunting.

since no one has mentioned it yet … its what fits YOU that matters … not what fits someone else on the intrawebs

go try everyone of those 50-60 pairs of shoes … walk/jump/run around with them in the store with your pack and weight on …

theres a lot of hype on the forums about this or that … and you may find that it may not live up to it like a poster above indicated

if you need to pay a bit more for a shoe you already know fits well … then i suggest doing so … thats one place where extra money for a good fit is worth it

any decent shoe that FITS will work … and if it doesnt, well buy it from somewhere like REI or backcountry ;)

who cares what BPL is picking … its what your feet are demanding that matters …

Erick Panger
    BPL Member

@eggs

But if some has worn a pair of Invo-8 Roclite 295 and then say a Brooks Cascadia and found them to be very similar in fit then my guess is they and I have the same foot and I could zero in on my choices. and possibly eliminate 30-40 pair of shoes that I need to try.

The shoes sampled above was only used as an analogy. I have no idea if those two shoes are in anyway similar in fit or not nor am I suggesting that they are.

Yes the best shoe for me is the one that fits. No I don't have endless time on my hands to try everyone of them or easy access to most.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Sierra trading post has last yrs 295s for about $56 right now with 20% off. I bought 2 pair last week, supposed to be delivered today.

Free shipping > $100 too.

too good a deal to pass.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Hi,

I wear the 295's (actually the women's version, which is called the 268).

If what you like about the 295's is the combination of wide toe box and narrow heal, here are some other trail runners that have worked for me that have those characteristics:

Asics Trail 2150. Heavier than Inov-8, but also cushier. Traction not as good. Wide toe box. Heel not *quite* as narrow; lace up tightly on top if you have an extra-narrow heel. They last a long time.

New Balance MT100/MT101/WT100/WT101. No longer made. I try to find on Ebay. Similar shape to 295's; rock plate; lighter than 295's (fit like dreamy slippers); toe box even wider (especially on the 100's); you feel the ground a bit more; traction is average. They run small. With WT100 I had to size up one full size. With 101's, size up 1/2 size.

New Balance MT10/WT10. I have only tried these on in the store, but they are a terrific fit if the others on this list fit you. They do NOT come with a rock plate. Therefore I might get some for trail running, but prob not for rocky backpacking. Note that New Balance has a ton of models that are named almost identically; I have tried the MT20/WT20 on in the store and they are NOT a good fit, nor were the 110's.

Brooks Pure Grit. I have only tried them on in a store, and found them to be a good fit, not dissimilar to 295's. The previous road-runner version (Brooks Green Silence) fit even better, with extremely wide toe box, but they have NO traction and are no longer made.

Salomon XA Pro was mentioned. I have tried in store, they have wide toe box and very very cushy feel, like walking on pillows. Heavier than other models here.

Brooks Cascadia was mentioned, I have tried in store and they do feel similar to 295's. A little heavier than 295's but not clunky at all.

Inov-8 Trailroc 235/245/255. New series for Inov-8. I have not tried them yet but they sound like one of the few Inov-8 models with a wide toebox. Hailed as an even-lighter version of the 295's.

– Elizabeth

Erick Panger
    BPL Member

@eggs

this was the type of info I was looking for to start my search

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools