Topic

Rab Boreas Pull-on Size Medium $48 shipped

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Rab Boreas Pull-on Size Medium $48 shipped

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Well reviewed and favorite softshell windshirt among many BPL'rs
    I think their stock levels may be pretty low…I just ordered their last small.
    But they do have size mediums in stock:
    http://climbhigh.com/rab-boreas-pull-on.html

They also have the Rab Alpine Jacket on sale for $81 shipped. Size medium.
    I believe this is better than the boreas in that it has more precipitation resistance and is lighter. People have reported that it is more prone to pilling though:
    http://climbhigh.com/rab-alpine-jacket.html?gclid=CLjE973g9bUCFQyZ4AodlkEA8Q

They have a reward point system like moosejaw. If you're feeling particularly generous, click on my referral link before you buy. I get 100pts and you get 200pts when you make your purchase.
    https://climbhigh.com/rewardpoints/index/goReferral/referrer/2174/

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation
    Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks, guy's I've been wanting one of these for a while now.

Dan you are killing my savings account!

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

My bad Tad… I couldnt help it!

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

Dan! you missed a better deal! must be gettin old.

http://www.everestgear.com/rab-boreas-pull-on-beluga.html

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

a softshell windshirt? what sort of advantages does this offer over the other "hard" shell versions like a Houdini?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

better breathability/better durability at the expense of less water resistance (at least for this particular product) and heavier weight and slower drying time.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

My eyes aren't the same as they used to be… I thought Beluga was some sort of brass instrument? Eh, Sorry about that!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

For more info on the Rab Boreas vs Houdini check this or this ,but you need to be a member to read the second.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

Thanks for the link Anna. That was really helpful.

Would the Boreas replace both a mid-weight top and wind jacket if I have a rain jacket already? Having no experience with a piece of clothing like this, I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my money or if I could cut some clothing weight without losing any practical use.

Edit – I realize a little more info might help. I'm asking about having layering options in temps ranging from 30's to 50's. I have a midweight Patagonia top, a wind jacket, a down jacket, and a rain shell. I'm wondering if the wind jacket and midweight top could be replaced by a Boreas. Not sure if it will offer the same warmth as a midweight shirt.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

to be fair, that head cheerleader sells and moves on from almost every piece of gear he buys. A restless gearhead is he.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

At least for me, I'm not concerned with the latest model. I just want a good, functional piece of gear at a good price.

My wind jacket cost me $35 from STP and weighs 5oz.
    My down jacket cost me $15 from JCP and weighs 10oz.
    My balaclava cost me $7 from eBay and weighs ~2oz.

So if the price is right and it works, I don't really care if its the current flavor of the week or last year's.

Any word on sizing? I don't need to layer this over anything except a base layer. Being 6'3'' and skinny usually puts me between sizes, but I usually go large so the sleeves and torso fit.

Edit – and I don't know who this head cheerleader is and whether I should just move on from this piece of gear despite the price…new guy problems.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Tyler, what wind jacket did you get from STP? I've poked around on there but haven't found anything too promising.

No worries by the way, there are at least a few of us new guys on this forum – still trying to figure out things!

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Marmot Ion Wind Hoodie
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-ion-wind-hoodie-jacket-for-men~p~3969g/

Right now there is a coupon for 35% off, making it $31.82. My large weighs 145g/5.1oz.

However, (and this is a little too late for me) there are some bad reviews on here for it, saying it doesn't breathe well. My experience so far is that it's not too bad. There is mesh under the arms and behind the neck…I wonder if these were added on after hearing some reviews about it's breathability. Not sure.

As for the Boreas, I figure it would be a lot more breathable and functional than the Marmot Ion. I'm taking a trip to Colorado this summer, and the last time I was there I was shocked at how many times I had to go from teeshirt to synthetic jacket. When the sun would hide behind the clouds, it felt like it dropped 20 degrees. Not having a mid layer that I could use in both sun and shade (like a Boreas) was really frustrating. Here in the southeast, we have this thing called humidity, which tends to normalize temps between sun and shade ;)

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

thanks, how's the fit? I'm typically a medium so if I need to scale up this will work for me, I think there are only Larges and X-Larges left

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Oh no, not upset…I just couldn't follow the joke. Thanks for the tip. Is that basically saying "this isn't anything special"?

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

G Sticks – the sizing is somewhat slim. The large isn't too baggy on me, and I'm 6'3'' 165 lbs. I usually wear a large though.

FWIW – this isn't breathable at all. At first I thought it was alright, but I just now went to my closet to try and breathe through the fabric…nothing. I'm returning mine to STP. Not sure why I didn't test it like this before. More new guy problems.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Actually I suddenly am intrigued by the idea of a pull on sun shirt. I wear a polyester button up sun shirt that's terrific against mosquitoes and is spf 30 I think. A pull on that weighs as much or less than this shirt and has all of same qualities might be a good thing. Oddly, I don't care about wind resistance–I carry a shell for that. So, a pull on sun/bug shirt. Advice?

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

How is the sizing on the Boreas? I'm usually stuck between medium and large…tall and skinny. If the sleeves/torso on the medium are long, I usually go that route.

Duane Klinge
    Spectator

@ksc

I have a Medium Beluga and am 170lbs 5'11" and selves come down to my knuckles. If I measure from arm pit to mid finger tip it is about 25"

Fit is a little tighter than wind jacket I have, but not too bad. I am able to pull over mid-weight fleece fairly well. I think it does breath a little better than wind jacket. I like the snug fit of hood. The pullover has a Lycra material feel to it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Jeffery, for what it's worth I find the Boreas too warm for a true sun shirt (i.e use in temps above 70F as a sunscreen replacement). And I still own and use one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools