Topic

Any way to make this tarp useable?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Any way to make this tarp useable?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I have an old nylon tarp that has been in storage for a while. The coating is now sticky and it stinks. Is there any way to remedy this situation, besides getting another tarp?

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

If you know what type of coating that would help a bit.

I would try letting it soak in paint thinner for a while and then rinse it off and see if the coating comes off.

Then you could apply a new coat of silicone and mineral spirits afterwards.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I would be worried that the nylon might have degraded over time. I'm not sure I'd take such a tarp out in rough weather.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Had the same problem with the tarp from a large Eureka family tent. Eureka said to launder it a few times in powdered (i.e. strong) detergent and most of the coating would come off, then recoat it with Aquaseal or similar.

I was able to get the coating off as they suggested. Now that the warm weather is almost upon us I plan to recoat it. Note these instructions are for polyurethane coatings, not for Silicon-coated fabrics. I don't think the latter become sticky with age.

Since I use old tents for car camping I usually bring a cheap blue tarp to throw on top of the tent if there are any leaks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools