Topic

YAMA Stratiform 1P+ first impressions and pictures

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) YAMA Stratiform 1P+ first impressions and pictures

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

After mulling over a few different tarps and emailing back and forth with Gen from YAMA Mountain Gear, I settled on the Stratiform 1P+. (Used to be called the Stratiform III).

I was looking for a tarp that had the openness and aesthetics of a basic cat tarp, but with a little more protection. I also wanted one with more room than my Echo I. The S1P+ seemed to fit the bill, and gave it a shot.

It arrived Thursday, neatly packaged. I was able to take it out on a trail today and set it up a few times, crawl inside it, and make lunch. I don't feel like writing too much prose, so I'll bullet point some things:

-16.1 ounces on my scale in stuff sack with guy lines cut to the recommended length on YAMA's website.
    -This is a very roomy tarp for one. With the right gear you could fit two–tightly–but doable.
    -Easy to set up and pitches tautly.
    -When set up in "raised" mode, you can darn near walk right in the front.
    -Zippered front entry is really roomy and easy to get in/out, even with the pole sitting vertical.
    -The rear of the tarp is big enough that you can easily crawl all the way back and still be protected.
    -Optional rear beak is nice for a bit more wind/spray protection. Adds less than an ounce.
    -Because of its size, you may want to have all six side tieout points anchored if it is windy. That brings the total # of stakes to 12. Calm days you'll only need 6.
    -Depending on pitch, it is fine to cook underneath. Just be aware of the risks.
    -Both sides of the front beak can be rolled back for views/ventilation.
    -If I can, I'm going to try to take it out overnight before the snow melts to see how I like it. Initially, I think that I'll stick with the Trailstar for winter, and this for solo 3-season trips.

There are also some newer pictures up on YAMA's website.

w45y

dtghj

srht

sfrh

dhtm

fdgm

srgrg

srgn

aeg

6ky6kuy

rtyk

dtkkt

yul6u

guk.kk

ryk

fyj,

ugj,

tyuj,

thk

y8o/

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That looks really nice. Great first look and awesome pictures!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

do you have any photos ?

David Ure

@familyguy

LOL!

Looks great Travis

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Photos? Yes, I'll see if I can dig any up…. :)

It seems to be a fairly rare shelter, so I figured I'd give a bunch of angles to look at.

Dug Shelby ("Rawhide") has a good video here:

YouTube video

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Weird. I've never seen cuben look so grey…..

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

It's the white snow. Has that effect on cuben.

BTW, I think the bug net will do quite finely for the lady and I.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

You guys are joking right? The Stratiform is a silnylon tarp.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Not to answer for Doug, but yes, he's joking. And me too. :)

You know how dogs are trained to smell the faintest traces of drugs? Well, Doug can smell a square meter of cuben from 3.2 miles away. Or so I've heard…he's legend up in these parts.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I've heard…he's legend up in these parts.
    don't know if he is a legend down our parts , but glad to know that he is a legend up yours.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

Whoops, Travis, didn't notice that you were also the OP who owned the tarp! it does have beautiful lines, as Dug says in your linked video.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"don't know if he is a legend down our parts , but glad to know that he is a legend up yours."

He meant that my parts are legendary…..

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

"He meant that my parts are legendary….."

See the "Peeing in a bottle" thread

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nice shape but NOT my cup of tea for winter camping.

I'm selling my current TT Moment for the new Moment DW (Double Wall) and if I truly want to "tarp it" in winter I can use just the fly of the DW. But the chances of me tarping it ever again in winter are near zero.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Did your Trailstar break?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Heh, no, but this probably will replace the Echo I system I have.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I was just pulling your chain :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I know :)

David Ure

@familyguy

Travis – would be interested in knowing what you like and or dislike about the Echo 1. They seam similar apart from the fabric. Thanks,

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

The Echo I is really a great shelter. Very well made, durable, well designed, and cool looking.

Ultimately it comes down to size. The Echo I tarp is just small for my liking. If pitched low to shed more wind, there is little headroom and shoulder room. One can make the argument that you really don't need to pitch it low with the solid 1/2 walls on the inner, and that's true. But with the tarp alone, it can get tight, especially when you add in the front pole.

I must note that my tarp comes in much smaller than spec'd on HMG's website. I don't know if they sized up a bit on the Echo I since I got mine, but the front width on mine is only 6' when stretched out flat, and is spec'd at 7'. The rear width is something like 6-8" smaller than spec as well. Length is about right.

The Stratiform is much bigger. Two people can sit side by side in the front, and depending on pitch, one can sit upright nearly halfway back towards the foot end. It reminds me of an elongated Trailstar, especially since I have the optional rear beak installed. It seems very livable.

Downsides to the Stratiform: larger= more weight (but not much), larger footprint, and may have more deflection on the side panels.

This isn't a fabulous comparison shot, but you get some idea of size difference. The Echo beak is attached in this shot.

srtjh

I'd like to note that I have not had the shelters up side by side yet, and have not spent a night in the Stratiform. For every other aspect but size, the Echo is still a really fabulous setup.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks for this.

I also like the fact that they both look like decent alternatives to bear rugs.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

You're welcome.

>I also like the fact that they both look like decent alternatives to bear rugs.

Lol! I had a teacher that had a hide on his floor. I'm not sure what it was, but it was a short-haired animal of some sort. Looked like the white Echo tarp…

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

never mind

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

great pics

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools