Topic

Osprey exos frame on GG Kumo pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Osprey exos frame on GG Kumo pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Austin Lundquist

@alundquist

I love the frame on my exos but the simplicity and eight of my GG Kumo and thought of today what a sweet pack I would have if I was able to put the Kumo pack on the Exos frame.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to adopt the Exos frame to a different pack and what their experience was if so? Thanks!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Cut the EXOS pack off and sew the Kumo pack on, leaving the great Osprey suspended mesh back panel.

(This sounds like mutilation and it is but you asked.)

OR, try to get REI to send you their very similar frame from a Flash 65. But you'll have to sew many fabric tunnel loops on the Kumo to fit the frame properly.

Remember, the frame must be able to support the loaded pack on your waistbelt. Transfer of the load to your waistbelt is the main goal.

Thus one big tunnel for the frame's top for the pack to "hang" from and the bottom ends of the frame are attatched to the waist belt. Cap the bottom tube ends so they don't wear thru their pockets and into the belt. Gorilla duct tape may work here.
    Make bottom end pockets from Cordura nylon fabric coated with Shoe Goo on the inside.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

First you'd have to make sure the dimensions are the same. I would not be surprised if the Exos frame was too tall and/or too wide.

Before you buy two very nice packs and cut them up here are some ideas.

1. For the price of an Exos and Kumo you could buy an HMG pack. You could also have Chris Zimmer build you a pack and for a bit more you could get a basic McHale.

2. If you really want to do the combo here is the cheaper route. Find a torn up Exos on ebay or at an REI garage sale. Buy some cheap nylon and try attaching that to the frame. Once you have a system you like THEN you can cut up the Kumo.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools