Topic

Retractable Jetboil Utensils

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Retractable Jetboil Utensils

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I was just on the jetboil site and I noticed they have these cool new utensils that retract for storage. The spoon is 8.5 inches long in use… and 5.4" retracted. Pretty cool. That's slightly longer than the BPL Ti long handled spoon. The weight is 11 grams. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that they are made from nylon… but it would be nice to have a long handled spoon that I can store inside my beer can! I do LOVE my 11g long handled Ti spoon… one of my favorite peices of gear actually… but it is a little awkward to stow.

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Accessories/Utensil-Kit

Also… they sell the fork and spoon with a cozy for the same price as the 3 piece utensil kit. That's what I bought… since the reason I went there was to look as cozies. Mine went up in flames today… LOL. I lit the stove with the pot on (big mistake) and at an angle (bigger mistake)… and POOF!!! Hillarious. I'm so used to my low tech system! I haven't used gas (or my jetboil) in well over a year. Just forgot how to use it. Funny. Keep the gas away from the ultra-lighter! LOL.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

David, your cozy burned because you lit the jetboil at an angle, with the pot on? Both of those actions should not be problematic. The jetboil pizoelectric starter is designed to be lit with the pot on. And I operate the stove at an angle, even serve from the pot while it is still ignited.
    Did a cloud of un-ignited propane envelop the pot before you ignited it thus causing a fireball? That would have been cool.. :)

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

David,

Those are cool looking, problem is, I've burned too many nylon utensils to trust em. Wish JB had gone with making the tips out of lexan…

Bill,

Oooh… fry pan… cool… I think I know what I'm going to use the rest of my Dick's Sporting Goods Gift Card on, it'll match the GCS I got a while ago… (unfortunately the only worth while things I can find at Dicks are the jet boil products and smartwool socks… I so wish they'd carry some merino clothes)

"Plastic bottom cover doubles as a preparation/eating plate." that could be interesting…

Brett,

Yeah, erupting balls of propane are always cool… as long as one's hand is not in the fireball… ;)

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Brett…

I don't really know how it happened. I had the cup on the burner… empty… I held the stove in my hand… turned on the gas and hit the sparker. I think what happened is… the sparker didn't light it right away… I hit it a few times… so maybe some gas vapors built up. I turned off the gas and tried again… and then at some point soon after lighting… the cozy caught fire. At first I thought it was just the flame… or I would have shut the gas off sooner… before half the cozy went up in flames. I've been off gas for sooooooooo long that I forgot that it doesn't have an orange flame. I didn't even realize it was the cozy on fire at first… I thought the flame was just huge and orange for some reason. It was rather fun trying to shut off the gas (with that tiny little back knob) in the middle of a fireball.

Anyway… I'm sticking with Esbit :P

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Joshua… good point. I wouldn't burn it tho' since I only use my stove to boil water. My spoon would only be used for eating. I needed a new cozy anyway… so I bought the cozy caddy kit… $15 off eBay… and it comes with the cozy and the JB fork and spoon. Coolio.

I hear ya tho'. I still love… and always will love… my BPL Ti spoon. The 11 gram version is insane.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Brett… BTW… it was a little windy at the time too. Maybe the wind blew the flame up onto the cozy?! Maybe this was "helped" by holding the stove at an angle… and / or by the propane not lighting on the first 3 tries.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Ahem, eh, so you lit your jetboil empty?

Uh, physics dictates something has to absorb that heat, if no water is present the next item to take the brunt of it is the neoprene.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Those are nifty! I might have to pick up the set just for the spoon!

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"I had the cup on the burner… empty… I held the stove in my hand… turned on the gas and hit the sparker."

Lighting the Jetboil on an empty mug is, in itself, enough to burn the cozy. When we first got the Jetboil in at our REI a couple of years ago, some folks in the camping department did the same thing while trying it out. We actually had the burned cozy on display with a sign that read "Be sure mug is NOT empty before lighting this stove." It was as useful for new staff as it was for customers.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Yup. That's exactly what I figured it was at the time actually. Stupid… yes… but as I say… I'm just not used to the awesome power of gas. I never, ever use the stuff. Ever. I only ever use Esbit. I was even momentarily surprised at the noise it made. I had completely forgotten that gas stoves make that load roar. But as soon as it happened… my first thought was… you lit the thing empty you idiot. It was scary how fast is happened tho. It was almost instant. I had planned to spark it up and immiedately dump the can of chilli inside… the can was all open… sitting off to the side… ready to go… but the flaming cozy happened almost the instant I got the stove lit. I got the thing lit… then was like "sh*t… that thing is loud!"… and as I was rushing to turn down the gas… the cozy went up in flames.

Anyway… no harm was done (aside from a crispy cozy) and now I've got a cool new little toy on the way… that funky retractable spoon (and fork). Plus I got a free hands-on refresher course in how to use (or not to use) my humongous, heavy, powerful jet engine of a camp stove that I never use!!! :P

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

I hear you about esbit. Because many of my summer hikes are in areas where cannisters are not readily available during town resupplies, I often use esbit, which I can maildrop, and which is wonderfully light. I'm actually looking forward to using my Snow Peak GigaPower this summer on the Tahoe Rim Trail and maybe the John Muir Trail, depending on availability. My issue is that I forget my gas stove boils 12 ounces of water in about 2.5 minutes versus the 8-9 with my esbit stove. It seems barely enough to open the package of food!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I have not tried to light an empty jetboil, and now I know not to. Thanks for sharing the tip. Actually I want the cool "camo" cozy for mine when the black one wears out..

BTW, the jetboil is relatively quiet when lit, and in bright light the flame is almost invisible. I bet it was lit from the first time you clicked the igniter. And of course, the pot is aluminum which conducts heat very quickly..

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

It does make a roaring / hissing sound. It's not quiet. Not compared to Esbit… which is completely silent. I'm positive it was not lit on the first try. It took a few tries. Anyway… the point of this thread was to mention the new utensils. I know it was stupid to light the jetboil empty. Like I said… I just haven't used it (or any gas) in a couple years and I just wasn't thinking. I'm not used to that kind of instant power.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks for the tip on NEVER putting an empty JetBoil pot on the flame.

I don't have a JetBoil stove but I do have the 1.5 L. pot and use it on all my stoves from ESBIT and alcohol stoves to canister and white gas B/C it's much more efficient than my old 1.5 L. Backpacker's Pantry aluminum pot.

Those ARE cool telescoping utensils and, if you need a frying pan that new JetBoil pan would be the one to get. I HATE my Japanese made Ti frying pan. Wanna buy it cheap?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools