Topic

Does Windchill matter with a sleeping bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does Windchill matter with a sleeping bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

How much does the wind chill matter when looking at the rating of your sleeping bag?

I was finally able to try out my 10F EE Quit this past weekend and it got really windy.
    I went with the Outdoor programs at my school so I had to use their tent. Some how the fly blew off twice during the night and it was pretty much a open screen tent underneath.

I'd say it got down to at least 20F before wind chill. Low said 17F looking online, but we were in a valley near a river, so not sure how much that would affect it. A cold front was coming in that night so it was fairly windy (5-25mph winds almost all night I would say.)

Long story short, I wasn't cold, but wasn't warm either. You think it was the wind that made me feel slightly cold in my quilt?

David Ure

@familyguy

Indeed. The convective heat loss can be significant with cold wind. A bivy may have solved this issue or a shell made of wind proof fabric (Windstopper). Or a tent/tarp.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Everything you mentioned affects warmth:

wind
    loss of fly
    netting tent instead of solid fabric
    valley (cold air settles in low spots)
    river (humidity makes it feel colder)

Replacing the fly a couple of times might have warmed you up a bit from the activity.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

What Daryl and David said.

Rocco, in my experience, the EE quilts are very conservative in their temp rating, so you being a little chilled isn't the quilt, but the way it was used: wind, loss of fly, etc, etc…

Also, what was your sleeping pad?

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

If there is any forced (wind driven) airflow against/accross your sleeping bag than yes.

Will be worse the more breathable you shell is.

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

I wasn't actually the one to go out and put back on the tent fly. Yeah, I was for sure warmer in the quilt than I was in my old 15F Big Agnes Grouse Down bag.

Also, now that I think about it, I think my old tent (Copper Spur 2) was warmer than when I started using my Tarptent Contrail.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools