Topic

Sleeping bag input needed from the Ladies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping bag input needed from the Ladies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

While not female I am (was) a "cold sleeper."

I had a women's REI bag rated at 10F that I froze in at around freezing when I first started backpacking and was incredibly disheartened by the experience. I eventually bought a WM Ultralight for fear of freezing.

Subsequent backpacking trips saw me sleep at similar temps with just fleece clothing and WPB bivy (ie a lot less lofty insulation) perfectly fine. My WM bag rarely gets used now because I'm a "warm sleeper" somehow. The difference? A better insulating sleeping pad and some techniques.

First off better food and hydration allows a bag to stay warmer (just make sure you empty your bladder first, a full one cools you down). Fatty foods gave me enough calories to stay warm long into the night. With women generally having higher fat content in their bodies than men (you'd think that'd be insulating) I wonder if women need more night time calories to thermoregulate. Fat is preferred because it's a slow burn compared to carbs.

Situps/crunches are also great for generating heat late in the night. It doesn't take much to warm up quick.

Lastly a better sleeping pad/camp site. I underestimated how much warmth rock and sand can suck from your body. Camping on forest duff or having a better sleeping pad will make a huge difference in perceived comfort. Notice that the neoair xlite women's has a higher R value than the regular pad.

I'd still aim for a 10+ degree difference between rating and actual temps but teaching your daughter about these other techniques will also greatly improve her comfort. I think "cold" temp sleeping, at least compared to at home, is as much if not more an issue of skill and technique than it is of proper insulation. Also test out some gear (rent from REI and such) in the backyard or on the weekends just to see how she reacts to various temperatures and bags.

Regardless, cold and miserable or not, it sounds like you two will have a blast.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I'm 5'-2", about your daughter's size now.

My last bag was a TNF Cat's Meow bag rated for 20F. I found it to be a Good economical option you may try since your daughter is still growing.

I now have an EE 40F synthetic and a Katabatic Gear 30F down quilts. I sleep "cold," but I find the KG quilt warm below 30.

I don't use the attachment system for either one because I toss around quite a bit and think it's both unnecessary & too confining.

I love my KG, but would now rather have synthetic instead of down.
    FWIW – As your daughter gains experience, she'll settle in on what works for her. Given that and that she is still growing, I would recommend shopping for a gently used bag or quilt for now instead of spending a lot.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Your daughter is young and will develop her own tastes and her own sleeping style. I could not agree more than you are putting way too much on yourself right now to pick the perfect quilt that will last her until she's 45. Besides, technology is going to get better and heaven knows I myself have already gone through too many iterations of my sleeping system trying to find what works best for me.

So…yeah Susan for bringing that up!! Just get something inexpensive that fits her now, will be very comfortable for her now, and let her find her own way as she grows. Nothing is more important at this point than making sure she's comfy and has a good time…so she'll want to go out more.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

EN ratings have their Comfort rating and their Limit Rating. The limit rating is generally advertized which is the mens rating. The Comfort is about 10f to 15f higher depending on temp and is the womens rating.

For a 40f comfort rating you need a 30f limit rating bag.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I just wanted to reiterate my gratitude for all the thoughtful advice. I'm going to buy her the Exped Synmat UL 7 for the time being and allow her to try a variety of bag and quilt configurations under a variety of conditions before I commit to anything either way. I've learned from this thread that while women generally have a tougher time with thermoregulation than men, there isn't necessarily a once size fits all approach for the ladies.

Best regards,

Ian

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools