Topic

Gore tex shell pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Gore tex shell pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

I've been working on a pair of winter pants for back county skiing and big mountain trips
    Here they are so far, I have one leg done still need to do the other side and add the waist and suspenders then seam tape.
    Material is Gore-tex XRC with a brushed linning from Rockywoods. The reinforcements are cordura 200 for the seat and spectra 500 for the crampon patch. Uretex water proof zippers.
    CheersPantspants2

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

Eric-

The pants look really nice. I've switched over to making some clothing as well. It's a lot harder then some might think!

Are you using a home made patter or something on-line. I've made a pair of wind pants from Thru-hiker and found his patter quite good.

Another source for good patters is
    http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/designs.php?osCsid=8753149ee788f257abe775eb46136f1f

His shareware pattern Vuokatti Pullover and Tunturi Hats are both very easy and rewarding projects. He also offers some other great jacket patters for around 7 pounds each. All very good designs

I made a Vuokatti pull-over from 4 way stretch fleece and added a zip neck.

Vuokatti Zip T neck

Joe F

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Thanks Joe,
    those pictures suck, the pants are a mostly finished now, I'll post some more next week.
    Pants are hard! at least technical ones. All the seams are flat so I could use iron-on seam tape.
    For a pattern I took my old pants which fit great and use them as a guide, Adding a bit more height around the waist and wider bottoms for better ski boot fit. So in a non-destructive way I cloned them. I took an old sheet and pinned it around on the inside then cut out the different pieces, this became my rough pattern. With the fabric at $30 a yard it was quite time consuming part.

I'll post more next week,
    cheers

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

I made a pair of the thru-hiker wind pants and used flat feld seeems and thery for sure take a lot of time. Really no short cuts to that. I read a few tips about seam taping on the shelby website.

http://www.shelby.fi/tips/seamtape/index.php

for non-waterproof seams you could use a serger to save lots of time. I would think a 5 thread stich could be seam sealed.

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Here are some more pics,
    Still need to get around to seam taping them and cleaning up all the loose threads but its spring time in Alaska and I have more important things to do!

They came in at at 21.1 oz, compared to the patagonia strech Triolet pants I based the pattern off of which were very similar design but 29.4 oz. The half a pound savings was suprising. I think doing away with the side zipper flaps helps alot.

cheersGripper elasticfront longfront on meside on meback

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools