Topic

Zip-off / convertible pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zip-off / convertible pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hi. I have store credit at Patagonia and would like to purchase a pair of pants for hiking. I usually hike in shorts and recently added the cap 4 bottom as an under layer, but I think it would be helpful to have something a bit more durable.

I saw a few threads on hiking pants and it seems like the Rock Craft are the most popular Patagonia pants. But I did see that the company makes Gi III zip-off pants. I already have the Gi III water shorts, and use them regularly for hiking. I don't see a lot of discussion on zip-off pants… is there a reason they aren't more popular?

I'm also wondering if one of the more wintery Alpine Guide or Simple Guide pants would be a better compliment to shorts. I plan on doing some snowshoeing this year.

Thank you.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Light nylon zip-off pants are popular with hikers in general I think. I have REI, Mountain Hardwear and Outdoor Research models. Ex Officio is another that comes to mind. All but the Mountain Hardwear are mostly warm weather items.

I think convertible pants cut down on extra clothing, filling the shorts and pants niche. The other route is light shorts and wind pants, but all of the zip offs I've seen are more durable than wind pants.

The Gi III pants would be great hiking pants.

As to the soft shell pants, I think they are the only way to go for cooler, wetter weather. It's funny— I don't think soft shell jackets are practical, but I really like the pants. I have some REI Mistral pants and a discontinued pair of really light ones from OR that are more like loose tights. There are a lot of stretch knit running pants that bridge the pants/tights gap.

I think soft shells pair up well with long johns for colder weather. The really heavy ones are climbing stuff, too heavy and stiff for trails. I wish they offered more models in light colors; the black ones get hot if the sun comes out.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools