Topic

Survival bacelet? How about a campers bracelet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Survival bacelet? How about a campers bracelet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

So, even though I make and sell "survival bracelets", I never really found that I would have much use for one myself, other than spare guyline, if I forgot mine, or brought an extra tarp or needed to do an unexpected bear hang, etc. But, a regular 550 cord bracelet only has around 7-8 feet of line in it, unless you want to wear a big 'ole fat double thick one. Which I don't.

For some reason the other day, I was rummaging for the spare triptease I keep in my pack when the thought occurred to me. Why not use this to make a bracelet out of? Not only would it save some weight from my pack, but it would prove more useful than paracord in typical situations. Plus, I can carry more of it, since it is so thin I can use a king cobra, and it will only come out as thick as a regular single layer cobra of 550 cord.

Well, anyways, here it is. I didn't measure precisely, but I think there is about 14' of cord in this, give or take. I used two separate lengths, so I can just untie the top layer if I don't have need to use all of it. But next time I think I would just use one length in case I need it for a rodent hang or something. I can always cut off what I need, if I need less. Probably not long enough for a bear hang, unless I get thinner cord(1.2 dyneema?)and try a triple or quadruple layer bracelet.

Triptease bracelet

Anyways, just thought I'd share for the DIY people out there. I do sell them however if you are just lazy, lol.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ohhhh, that's nice. The triple/quadruple Dyneema sounds awesome. I'd be interested in purchasing one… I had a hard enough time cord wrapping my knife and don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around how to make a bracelet.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I'm curious how long it normally takes to make one of these. I was pretty good at knots and lashing in scouts but have never done any braiding/weaving. A paracord bracelet isn't very appealing to me but one made with dyneema/guyline actually sounds pretty useful.

Another question, how long does it take to get the cordage out when you need to use it? Do you have to "unbraid" it or is it quick like undoing a daisy chain?

Adam

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

An-D:
    Haha, sorry to hear your cord wrapping gave you a hard time.
    Zpacks has some 1.25 yellow spectra, or Oware has 1mm white dacron. That's about as thin as I can find, but it gets expensive… If you really are interested, PM me and we can talk about cord type, bracelet thickness, wrist sizes, and price.

Adam:
    Not that long to make really, depending on how many layers you do. If you want to try to do one, I like to use the 3/8" curved plastic clips.
    Undoing it is pretty simple and quick. I messed up the length on this one, and had to untie it and it only took me a minute or two, and was pretty easy. Although, if you use thinner cord, it might get more difficult to pick apart?
    Not as quick as a daisy chain, that only takes seconds to undo, more like minute(s) to undo. I'm pretty impatient and I didn't get impatient taking it apart, but definitely not like pulling on one end and it's all undone.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Thanks Nick. I might have to find a buckle and give this a try, I've got about 15' of Gossamer Gear guyline that I could use for it. I think I've got an old sternum strap somewhere that I could scavenge a buckle from too.

Adam

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

As luck would have it, I had some 1.25 zline on order for a tent prototype I'm working on, and it showed up yesterday.

So this is what I came up with:

4 layers
    35 feet
    Took me a little over an hour to make
    4 minutes per layer to take apart

Soooo, probably not a viable way to carry enough for a bear hang, and if I do one continuous cord, like this one, it takes too long to be cost effective. It would cost in the range of $40…

But, I think if I did three separate lengths, it would save time making it, and would still be good for guylines and what not. And you could always tie lengths together if you need a longer line.

I may need this yet for my tent, but if I have extra I'll probably make a 3 layer one of separate lengths for myself, but I don't think it would be worth trying to sell unless someone requests one.

But, it's an idea here for you MYOGers if you find it useful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools