Topic

Your favorite meal from Packit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Your favorite meal from Packit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

Considering ordering some meals from PackIt & was wondering what your favorite is? Also, I will be ordering for a somewhat picky 13yr old, any recommendations?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

For me its the burger wraps, gumbo and cheesecake.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I ordered a sample meal kit and loved everything so I just ordered 200 bucks worth of food from them.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

What does the picky one like? The burger wraps are great. Most of what Packit sells is good though…..and often you can leave out an item, since it comes with packets for flavoring.

Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

he doesn't knwo what he does & doesn't like… he picks & chooses. I think its more of a visual thing, once he thinks it looks or might taste gross he wont even try it.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Stephen,

Are you still repackaging everything before you head out on a trip? Seems to be a lot of excess that has to be carried out otherwise.

Oh, and did you ever get the Packit hot sauce out of your clothing after it exploded everywhere?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Stuart,

I do repackage most of the meals as there can be a few ounces of paper plastis and condiments which are not needed.

I had forgotten completley that the sauce packets wheer under pressure and exploded when I open them.

Lucky there was no bears around :-)

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

They're all habituated to the artificial junk in Mountain House. They wouldn't touch the Packit stuff with a bargepole, it'd be too much like shopping at Whole Foods.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Do they watch Fox new and drink Bud lite also?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Only when they're supposed to be hibernating.

So, Stephen, would you recommend going with one of the samplers from Packit, or ordering a la carte?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Stuart, you've given me a great idea. I'm going to make a titanium bargepole to take with me when I'm in Glacier and Yellowstone. I can use it when bartering with the bears, and trade it for, you know, my life. Where else would a bear find an ultralight titanium bargepole to use for not touching a Packit Gourmet meal?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Stuart,

The Samplers where great for a first go but from now on will be ordering A la carte.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Gary, you could make it telescoping, tenkara style, for ease of transport. BTW hoping to make the meeting on the 18th, clients permitting.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I like the way you think, Stuart. Yes, I hope to see you on the 18th.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I just ordered some for an upcoming hike in April. Favorites include:
    – Austintacious Tortilla Soup
    – Zydeco Red Beans and Rice
    – Jumpstart Fruit Smoothies for breakfast
    – Creamy Italian Polenta with Sausage for breakfast
    – Dottie's Chicken and Dumplings
    – Tuscan Beef Stew with Polenta

Their food has a lot of flavor. They send spice packets so you can elevate the spice level without your son having to do so. Truthfully they're so good that you could order one and try it at home for dinner to see how it goes and then place your order for your trip. Their rehydrated food is much better than most of the food my "Practice" wife cooked when we first got married.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Jump Start Fruit Smoothie (Berry flavor) is the best breakfast I have ever had. Gives me great long lasting energy with a good combination of Carbs/Protein/Fat. I can use cold water, shake and drink so it prepares quickly with no fuss and super tasting.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

The smoothies sure are nice.

I just ordered enough food for the majority of my trips this year and it cost me $200, obviously will be bringing some fresh stuff from home also :-)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools