Topic

Twin quilt recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Twin quilt recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

My Feathered Friends twin sleeping bag was stolen and I'm looking to replace it.
    We camp down into the 20's and are both over 6ft3" (193cm) so we need a long.

I've been researching and came up with these
    http://featheredfriends.com/index.php/penguin-20-sleeping-bag-1212.html
    http://zpacks.com/quilts/twinquilt.shtml
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the-mt-rogers-large-quilt/
    http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=36

Are there any that I am missing?
    Any experience with any of these?
    Thanks,
    Tim

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Nunatak makes one as well, so you may want to check them out.

I haven't used any, but the Jacks are better is significantly cheaper but narrow. I think the zpacks looks the best overall for a quilt. I am interested to see what others think.

Nicholas Viglione
    BPL Member

@nicholas-viglionegmail-com

My girlfriend and I love our Enlightened Equipment double Rev-X that Tim made for us, great price point, beautifully built and warm as anything. Light too, when you consider that it takes the place of 2 bags. I would highly recommend EE if you're looking for a new double.

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

+1 on the Enlightened Equipment double Rev-X quilt

Excellent quality, price and comfort.

Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

Thanks you two for calling Enlightened Eqpt to my attn. I asked Tim for a quote
    "I can do a 70" wide custom with ~60" footbox. In 6'6" and 20* it costs $270 and weighs ~33oz. I can only make it in yellow or lime green, or a combo of that due to material widths. "
    The zpacks twin is 84" wide so there is a big difference and I'm worried about being cramped in the Enlightened Eqpt. We both use large neoair pads so that is 50" already, and then if you add a side sleeper on their side, 20" I calculate that the sides will start to lift up and no longer be on the pad, causing drafts.
    Can either of you comment on this?

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

You can't go wrong with Tim's quilts.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

To get an idea for size try blankets and duvets you may have around your house.

A queen bed is 60" wide. A double bed is 54" wide. A duvet for a queen bed is 88" wide, A duvet for a double is 79" wide.

The 70" of the EE quilt seems tight to me with 50" of pads. But try pinning up mockups at home to get a feel for it.

Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

great idea thanks
    tim

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

How did you go with trialling widths Tim? Does the EE double quilt still have a zippered footbox?

Its good news that EE can do a double…I much prefer their price points and I've always really admired their quilts, especially as they now have a nice new pad strapping system. We have ordered our neoairs so I'd much prefer a quilt that I can mate successfully to them.

We are also hoping to fit our baby in there for co-sleeping too. I think once we have the neoairs and I velcro them together we can have a better play with the three of us in there with some sheets.

Cheers,

Adam

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Sorry, I missed replying earlier to this thread.

We use two women's Prolite pads under the EE Double Quilt and have not had a draft issue.
    However, we sleep together quite close and share a small single futon at home.

Rick Hay

@indianacamper

Locale: Indiana

I have a JRB Kathdin. My wife and I used it this past spring break for some car camping. It worked pretty well but I found it just a tiny bit narrow and drafty. Now nights were in the low 30's. My wife also was using more of it than me (Cover Hog). I'm sure that with temps even just up in the 40's we would have been fine. I also have no doubt that by myself I could use this down to low teens with no problem. It is very warm.
    I has also worked well as an under quilt for one night of hammock camping. I have my heart set on a WM Megalite right now and my wife says not until I sell a few things so I'm probably going to try to sell the quilt.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

I have an EE Rev-X in the lime green, just like Tim was offering. My girlfriend and I use it with a 25" and a 20" set of pads tied together; it works very well with few drafts.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools