Topic

Easy Trips Near St. George UT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Easy Trips Near St. George UT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zachary SCOTT

@zach

Hey everyone, so being from Utah, it is a shame I don't get down south more often. However, my wife and I decided that we need a trip to somewhere warmer than here during spring break. I am wondering if anyone has experience with any trips near St. George area that are good around this time of year. I am not looking for anything super difficult. We will have our little boy with us on this one so we want to keep it fairly simple but get out of the campground. Any info would be great!

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Zion NP has some easier trips near the visitor's center and close to their shuttle drops.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Last time I was in Zion I had an easy trip to St. George jail.

Damn rookie Rangers!

Zachary SCOTT

@zach

This is something we might enjoy hearing.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Nothing hardcore…

Spring Break '97:
    In our campsite- sitting around the picnic table. 1st night there!! Arrgh
    Enjoying herbal and fungal gifts from the Big Bang.
    BEING QUIET as other two other groups in the other campsites slept. (the guy next to us said the cruiser lights woke him up- not us. Hows that for irony?)

We determined that since we all thought we saw a figure in the dark watching us, it was probably real. :)

Sure enough… rookie ranger walks up and asks whats goin' on and where 'our stuff' was. Since we had (literally) 4 beers (for 4 dudes) and no one happened to be 21- Probable Cause.

Searched our van and found the goodies. Called it in.

The senior ranger came to check us out and to assist Rookie. We were all standing as a group talking and Senior asked what the impetus was for the Rookie to approach us in the first place.

"were they loud?"
    "NO."
    "Then what were they doing? cause the dont look (effed) up." (He actually said that)

all together we said "We weren't doing anything- sitting at the table"

Then the Senior actually gave the Rookie the "WTF" look, but it had been called in so it was too late. If the Senior would have been on patrol that night we would have been fine. He said he was from Florida and has seen it all, and he actually complimented us on the quality of our herbs! (Durango represent!)

This is where it was fun- Since it was late at night the Sheriffs office apparently wouldn't come and get us. So they took our DLs and told us to go ahead and camp and they'd come get us in the morning. Try sleeping knowing that when you wake up your going to jail. HA!

So sure enough- 8am or so the cruiser showed up and carried us (all four largish dudes in a backseat) to St. George for accommodations. Bailed out- drove home (back across the country) a week early. (dropped the fungus, gave us simple possession- $2000 fine)

Thats when I swore off Front Country camping.

OK so I know we WERE doing unlawful activities. But in my opinion (and apparently the Senoir Ranger's) that would have been a good time for a little discretion, since we were being respectful of our neighbors. Rookie wanted a collar though.

So it goes…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools