Topic

Wind River Range 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wind River Range 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

Hello everybody! I managed to do a few trips this last summer before my new job started. When I was 16 I did a NOLS 28 day trip in the Sisters wilderness of Oregon. Of course I had a total crush on one of the guides a mountain girl named Amy with strong legs and amazing wilderness skills. She always talked of the Wind River Range. Needless to say I have spent many a night since staring at maps of the WRR and dreaming of a backcountry trip in this fantastic mountain range. Well… it finally happened! Check it out I hope you enjoy it.

http://dylanlovesbikes.blogspot.com/2013/03/wind-river-range-2012.html

Wilderness Sign

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Great report and photos. Do you have a shot with your SL2 including the new netting? I am going to modify one of mine to include netting, but can't come to a conclusion as to how I want to do it. I am teetering between a perimeter netting including door, and netting to include a floor as well.

Thanks
    Ben

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Yes, great report. I was there in September last year but worked long hours right away when I got back and never posted a report. I like the mosquito scale. Nice thing about September, 0 on the mosquito scale.

I'd like to see pics of the shelter mod as well. I have an SL3 and when I got it I bought mesh to sew on the bottom. But so far I've never had a big issue with them coming in so I haven't done it. Didn't want to add the weight for something I won't need very often. I have the nest but I'm not hauling that along. I like Ben's idea of having two and modifying one for when I might need the extra protection. I'll have to keep any eye out for a used SL3.

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Here is what the shelter looks like currently. My idea is to replace all the stake out/tie out points with linelocs and triptease to save some weight and compensate some for adding the bug netting. Have I done this yet? No… but I plan to. I only backpack during the summer months and never in very challenging conditions so I'm not worried about snow and the netting getting wet and freezing or such situations. Also I realize this is by no means the lightest option. I LOVE the SL-2 for its roomy interior (1 person), super easy/ fast setup, and total bombproof weather worthiness. I love it so much I think I'm going to sell my TarpTent Moment. Whoa!

Front door of shelter with netting barely visible below.
    sl1-2

Front door open.
    sl1-1

Close up of door area from inside shelter.
    sl1-3

Rear of SL-2 w/netting barely visible.
    sl1-4

Rear of SL-2 from inside shelter.
    sl1-5

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Do you also have netting over the door? If so, is there just a zipper in the same place as the zipper on the fly?

Also, what length is the netting on yours, and do you think it is long enough or whould you use a different length if you had to do it again?

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Ben

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

No netting at the door. My feeling was I didn't need it. Current setup is what I consider the minimum so I have a place to get away from the bugs. I have had a few trips almost ruined by my inability to escape from the bugs and anymore I won't sleep with just my headnet and deal. So… with all compromises there is good and bad. I'll be testing it out soon up here on the North Coast of CA with some early season adventures sure hope it works!
    I have noticed that for the most part any flies that get in wind up circling around at the top by the vents and don't really bother you. Trying out the SL-2 and the modifications came from the reviews and ideas of Dondo Outdoors and BedRockAndParadox
    both who actually use their stuff on a regular basis (unlike me!) and I value their opinions.
    I should also note that the sewing done by BearPaw was done quickly and top notch.

Dondo review of the SL-2:
    http://dondo1.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/about-the-gear-james-peak-wilderness-loop/

BedRockAndParadox musing about the SL-2:
    http://bedrockandparadox.com/2012/04/15/trailstar-v-shangrila-2/

Edit: Netting is aprx 15 inches and I would say just right.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Did you have to share your friends shelter because the mosquitoes were coming under the SL2 at night, or was it more due to them bothering you before you went to sleep while you were hanging?

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Great report to help get the stoke going. Also, your partner seems like a colorful guy. I don't really grasp the whole bike messenger/CX culture, but oddly enough I did buy my first road bike today so it was also fun to read about "Chica Sexy" etc.

Is the weather usually that dry over there, or were you guys just super lucky?

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Good good stuff Dylan. I will probably regret not having gone on this one for a long time. However, it looks like you had a perfect trip and I'm sure we will hike again soon. I dig reading about your trips, your just rad and stoned on nature and it comes through. As you know, my experience with the super spiral bag is exactly the same as yours. Super comfy but switched because it left me cold. Fred sounds like an awesome friend, good times.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Wow! Great report. Looked like fun. What camera were you using?

dreamer
    BPL Member

@ejcfree

Hi Dylan (& Fred),

What a nice trip you had. I found our chat and the tea you offered very pleasant. So nice to have encounters with great guys such as yourselves way out there like that. A gorgeous morning with a good linger really adds to a pass.

I had such a super time on my 18 day hike that I'm planning on 30 for this coming season. The backcountry resupply, though needing a big investment, totally made it for me.

I don't generally photograph people, but I did manage to get one of each of you ;)

See You Out There, Eric

dylanDylan climbs the pass-the red spot right of center

fredFred peers over the edge-you might need to zoom

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools