Topic

Looking for UL Day Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for UL Day Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I'm looking for a UL day pack — say around 1,200 ci, weighing a couple of ounces and packs down to almost nothing when not in use — with a side pocket for water bottle. Any recommendations?

David Ure

@familyguy

Ben, would the Gossamer Gear Rik Sak work?:

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/riksak.html

It is a little smaller than what you were looking for but only 2.2oz

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Howdy. I'm looking for something similar — but with side pocket(s) for a water bottle.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Zpack Zero is light and basic but you can add whatever you want like side pockets for water.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ah yes, thanks, Anna!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Ben, not sure what your threshold is in terms of weight and just how tiny is must be, but this is mighty affordable and fits your criteria in terms of size and features:
    http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-pack

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think you will need to go to a cottage manufacturer as suggested. I've been through a bunch of the UL travel packs over the years and water bottle pockets were on the top of my list. The biggest problem was sizing, where the straps and the pack itself were okay for a smaller person, but not even close for anyone wearing an XL top. All the really light ones don't have water bottle pockets. The Sea to Summit Ultra Sil pack is a good example: it is light, but carries poorly, and has no pockets.

A work around to adding a water bottle to a SUL pack is to use a sling to carry the water. That gets the weight off the limited pack suspension and you can use them together or separately. Not as slick and clean, but something I considered. The sling option works with SUL waist packs too, again removing the weight and bulk of the water bottle.

I would love to see the classic rucksack design done in Cuben. A simple teardrop shape with drawstring top and two mesh pockets on the back. Get is sized so the bottom drops into the small of your back and you don't even know it's there. Leave out a back pad panel and it would roll to stash in your luggage. REI cranked them out for years and I would like to see a modern update.

Vintage REI rucksack

Patagonia's Lightweight Travel pack has good ergonomics, but it is 11oz– way over your request. Once you have gone down that path, the Cilogear 20L WorkSack is an interesting option, with great durability. I agree that the REI Stuff Travel Pack has great potential.

Personally, I've found that a small messenger style shoulder bag is better than a small backpack, particularly for travel. The Patagonia Travel Courier is a good example, 1037ci/17l and 7.1oz. You want something that is soft and will wrap around your hip. I just did a road/city trip and used a small Timbuk2 bag that is roughly 13x9x6 (702ci or 11.5L) and it was perfect for day tripping, but no water bottle pocket. Timbuk2 has UL Hidden Messenger model that is perfect except for the water bottle pocket issue. These bags are great for camera/phone/map/jacket/umbrella, etc. They are handy to increase carry-on capacity getting on a plane with a maximum sized backpack too.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

A year ago I was looking for an ultralightweight day pack of a small size, and I couldn't find anything, so I sewed up my own with some scraps of thin silnylon fabric, and thin webbing straps. No flaps or pockets. I made it the size to hold a bear canister, and the whole thing weighs 1.4 oz.

–B.G.–

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I was going to say the Gossamer Gear Murmur because I've got an old one in Spinnaker with side pockets but I went on Gossamer's website and I see the Murmur is no longer the minimalist pack that it used to be. But you might be able to pick up a used one.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks again, everyone!

Truth be told, I was looking for a smaller and slightly squatter or wider pack. Longer and narrower ones are appropriate for trail use — but the resulting deep hole is suboptimal for urban use. I like Dale's pack as shown and I too wish for a silnylon version.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

for no frills day packs ,the lightest Ive found is:

Gossamer gear riksak 2.2 oz
    Sea to summit ultrasil daypack – 2.5 oz (got one of these, pretty nice)

Zimmer cuben daypack 1.5 oz

Ive been thinking of modifying a Zpacks medium drysak with some shoulderstraps myself for a <1.5oz daypack that doubles as sleeping bag & clothing drybag. At under 8 lbs or so, no padding is really needed in shoulder straps, just dead weight.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If you wish to fund your zpack project — maybe I can help by taking the STS off your hands? :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Truth be told, I was looking for a smaller and slightly squatter or wider pack. Longer and narrower ones are appropriate for trail use — but the resulting deep hole is suboptimal for urban use. I like Dale's pack as shown and I too wish for a silnylon version."

Cuben… Cuuuuuben. I swiped that photo off the Web. The Sierra Club has put out a similar membership give-away that I see in thrift stores all the time. If you want a cheap throw-away pack, let me know and I'll snag one.

Many small packs work as well on one shoulder than two for urban use. Wear a pack in a crowd and you will wipe the nose of the person behind you— or get ripped off. This winter I got an Eddie Bauer 22L pack for urban use and found it near unusable on one shoulder with some clothing due to the slippery mesh foam on the shoulder straps.

The STS is light, but you get no water bottle pockets.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"smaller and slightly squatter or wider pack"

That's why I made mine smaller and slightly squatter. If you sew it yourself, you can make it any size you want.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My current packable day pack — which I use on my travels — is a MontBell packable day pack weighing around 6oz. The STS is attractive, coming in at half the weight. A side water bottle pocket is good but not an absolute (my MB doesn't have it either).

Dale — thanks for the offer, but I think most run-of-the-mill day packs are made of heavier fabrics and thus heavier.

Bob — I am 'ignoring' you because I can't sew — and am green with jealousy.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

zPacks Zero in a small or extra small. Have Joe add a couple water bottle pockets. Here is mine 1500 cu in. Weight 3.39 ounces.

front

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bob — I am 'ignoring' you because I can't sew — and am green with jealousy."

Three years ago I purchased an inexpensive sewing machine, so I am no longtime expert. It helps that I have a sister-in-law with a degree in textiles, so I can get good advice in an emergency.

–B.G.–

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools