Topic

Cinnamon Tooth Pellets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cinnamon Tooth Pellets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Erickson

@trailwolf

Dehydrated pellets I made by combining 1 tbsp Unscented Dr Bonners, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Makes 84 pellets which can be stored in a plastic straw.

Cinnamon Tooth Pellets

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Those look like little marmot droppings.

I hope that they taste better.

–B.G.–

David Erickson

@trailwolf

Enough cinnamon to mask the soap, enough soap to form a lather and the added baking soda cleans teeth better…
    http://www.crestprohealth.com/dental-hygiene-topics/care-for-your-mouth/brushing-teeth-with-baking-soda.aspx

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

These are neat! Can you explain the process a bit more? Did you knead them into little balls before dehydrating? In the past I've just dehydrated strips of toothpaste and cut them into smaller cubes, but this is pretty cool too!

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Have you tried adding in some kind of fluoride?

Would also like to know how you like the taste.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How do you use dehydrated toothpaste? Just pop it in your mouth and let your spit rehydrate it then brush? Or stick it onto brush and put drops of water on it?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

put in your mouth and chew,Mike explains a lot in his fantastic free videos ,the toothpaste one in particular is in his Dinky Stuff video.Or you could just get these if you do not feel like making some,again you start off by chewing.

David Erickson

@trailwolf

I mixed ingredients into a thick syrupy consistency. Then I spread the mixture out to maybe 4-5 inch diameter on parchment paper and put in dehydrator at 115 degrees for 3-4 hours until consistency of putty. Next, I cut into small sections approx 3/16-1/4 inch square with back(dull)-side of knife and rolled into little balls about the size of peppercorns. Finally, I returned to dehydrator for another 10 hours or so. Most labor intensive part is rolling the little pellets and it took about half an hour for me to roll 84 of them.

My plan is to store these pellets in a straw which will also serve as handle for a sawed-off toothbrush, but I need to find wider straws than the ones that I have on hand. 1 week(7 pellets)/1-1/2 inch length of straw, so 1 straw could hold a months supply. My first batch made a 3 month supply.

I am also going to experiment with different flavors and I think that I may try ginger next. Play with it yourself and make your own personal favorites.

UL Banana

@ulbanana

I'm preparing for a long trip and started out making your tooth pellets. I tasted some of the concoction as I was putting it on the dehydrator and I couldn't get rid of the 'wash out my mouth with soap' feeling and taste for over an hour. Maybe it's just me and I'm a wimp, but I reverted to dehydrating my regular toothpaste into pellets.

Thanks for the pellet idea!

David Erickson

@trailwolf

I didn't taste this before dehydrating so I can't say whether the 'wash out my mouth with soap' feeling and taste is diminished through dehydration, but I did not get that sensation from the pellets. Maybe the concentration of cinnamon after dehydration helps to mask the soapiness or maybe you are more sensitive to taste of Bonner's Soap.

Good luck with your toothpaste pellets!

Andrew Zajac

@azajac

Locale: South West

FWIW I asked my dentist about this one a while back and got some interesting results. He said that if it gets me to brush my teeth while hiking then I should by all means do it. However, he said that it wouldn't be any more effective than a good brushing and flossing without it. The only benefit may be temporarily fresher breath. The purpose of brushing is apparently to physically remove the biofilm (aka plaque) left by bacteria in our mouths. Baking soda is helpful because it acts as an abrasive making brushing a little more effective. Flouride is also good and helps your enamel. However, Bronner's doesn't contain any abrasive or flouride. Apparently its germicidal properties also simply don't help 'clean' your mouth. Your mouth is a super dirty place that is great for growing bacteria. You will never be able to kill all the germs in it. Brushing and flossing bacteria and plaque away is good enough to keep your mouth healthy.

David Erickson

@trailwolf

"The purpose of brushing is apparently to physically remove the biofilm (aka plaque) left by bacteria in our mouths. Baking soda is helpful because it acts as an abrasive making brushing a little more effective."

Agree! That is why I added baking soda to my cinnamon pellets.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also, since the baking soda is fairly alkaline, it's fairly antimicrobial in nature as well. Many pathogenic type microbes like and thrive in in-between a slightly to moderately acid environment, and many are killed by even moderate alkalinity.

Same reasoning behind why gargling with warm salt water tends to help with sore throats–kills the germs with it's alkalinity.

(this ph thing also works internally, and is quite interesting. I've done experiments wherein i've eating a more alkaline reacting diet for long periods of time, and wouldn't even get a hint of a common cold for that duration. My longest period without even a slight, common cold was about 2.25 yrs, and what changed it was visiting the in laws during the holidays, and feeling obligated to eat foods, combinations, and amounts i wouldn't normally [and very acid reacting], and i immediately got sick. Anyways, i've experimented enough to be convinced. If i feel a cold coming on, i immediately discipline my diet and eat very alkaline reacting and 9 out of 10 times nip the cold in the bud. Modern, mainstream medicine doesn't know everything yet.]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools