Topic

Sierra Designs Origami 2 Ultralight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra Designs Origami 2 Ultralight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

One shelter I've been very curious about but no one seems to use is the Sierra Designs Origami 2 Ultralight pyramid shelter. It puzzles me as to why no one has talked about this shelter here because I think it would offer so much of what people are looking for. Take a look at its configurations: Origami 2's various pitching configurations. Admittedly it is somewhat heavy at a trail weight of 1 lb. 12 oz., but it seems to offer a lot of space.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

i agree, it's a good-looking shelter. only "heavy" if you're trying to achieve SUL, i think. it's still under 2 pounds. i did a little searching on it when Sierra Designs erroneously stated they were releasing an Origami 4 ultralight (sadly, they weren't). as a solo tent, i'd like it quite a bit, but i'd have to add bug netting too. that pitching page is neat, i didn't find that when i was researching it last year.

Mandy Kent

@vermontsilkie

Locale: rural New England

Miguel, interesting that you pose this question. I had just recently noticed this item on the Sierra Designs website. I decided I would like such a thing if it also had a hood so it could double as a poncho.

Meanwhile, I keep wondering how people who use tarps for shelters deal with bugs and other varmints. Maybe I just don't get it or don't pitch my tent in the right places.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Mandy, there are two way I deal with bugs. One is a good shelter such as the Hennessy Hammock I use. It's the most impervious shelter to bugs and varmints I know of. The other is the clothing you wear. My base layer and wind shirt are both hooded and my long pants seal at the bottom. A bug head net completes the ensemble and gives an air of high fashion :). And so as not to hijack the thread, how about that SD Origami!

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

And sometimes I just swat till dawn.
    Are there two different origamis, I see two different weights listed?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

I think there are three Origamis… one 4 person, one 2 person in heavier weight fabric, and one 2 person in a lighter fabric. Seems like a very versatile design.

I'm not sure if if it's still available to purchase, but I use an Adventure 16 Bugnet. I've always found it a good size… bigger than a headnet, but not as heavy as a full bug shelter, plus you can use it outside on its own without the tarp.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Miguel, Thanks, I see there is an ultralight version now.
    It would be nice if there was a central clearing house for all this interesting stuff where we could go and play with it. It could be in Kanto Plain, Japan, hmm.
    I think there is a tendency to dismiss much of the mainstream outdoor product makers, whether it's north face, mountain hardware,sierra designs,eureka,etc.
    Some of it isn't light enough, some of it is regional based, maybe in these times of desperate consumerism and disheartening lies there is something very appealing about the boutique industry. If this was a car website we'ld be talking about Borgwards and Thames vans.
    i.e. I make this cool product by hand, it will cost you this much, you will have to wait for it.
    [In the bicycle industry there is a annual show and awards for "people who make there own stuff".]
    Sorry for hijacking your thread but thanks again for pointing out the sd origami.

Philip Mack Furlow

@philipmack

Locale: North Texas

Miguel,

A buddy and I used the Origami 2 UL last year on a hike up the Cimarron River to just below UnCompahgre Peak in SW Colorado. It is a little heavy but provides four season protection with the pyramid design. There was room for two guys and all our gear. It performed admirably in bad weather.

At about 12,000 feet we had a big thunderstom sweep over the peak and pelt us with hail and high winds. We dived into the Origami. Zipped the hatch and waited out the storm. Winds were over 45mph and the little Origami held strong. Like any shelter if you batten down the hatches there can be condensation issues.

On clear nights we left the door open and gazed at the stars. It is an excellent option if you are willing to buddy up – but as a solo set up it is a bit heavy – although I would consider it for a bad weather option.

I am going on another trip this summer and instead of the Oragami we are taking the new Cabela's 10X10 Lightweight Wing, which is just a 10X10 tarp with a cat ridge – 15 oz. Still heavy compared to Gossamer Gear or some of Oware's products – but hard to beat the price.

Still, Oragami was a great product and I felt much safer above tree line in high winds and hail in the Oragami than I think I would with a traditional tarp.

If you don't mind the weight it is hard to beat.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Philip, Thanks very much for your information on the Origami! Your anecdote gave me a very clear idea of what to expect with it and how to think of using it. It's such user experiences that give such products a realistic view of them. Thanks!

Larry, hijacking? Nah, just makes the topic more interesting!

Miguel

Ike M.
    BPL Member

@ikeonabike

Locale: Bay Area

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know roughly how small the SD Origami 2 stuffs down to? How short is the included pole when fully retraced?

Thanks!

~ike

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ike, It packs down to the size of a large grapefruit. You can get the floor also, but I think it is unnecessary weight (use a ground cloth). The pole is about 16"-18" if I recall correctly, I wish they had a lighter pole, it is the thick aluminum like the old Coleman tents.
    I purchase 3 of these for my scout troop a few years ago and I appreciate the heavy duty pole and the thicker fabric because it has stood up to the use (abuse) of the boys. These are very versatile and usable. 3 boys can fit in them on a good day, tight when you need to buckle down (but they don't seem mind).
    I think the difference in weights listed is with/ without the floor.

Ike M.
    BPL Member

@ikeonabike

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks for the quick response!

Any idea how much the pole weighs? I assumed the two weights (1lb 14oz trail weight vs 2lb 8oz pack weight) were for with/without the included pole, but you think it's the optional floor?

I don't plan to get the floor, but I'm trying to figure out how much the tarp + pole would weigh. I'd leave the pole behind when backpacking, but would need it for bike camping in areas without trees. I figure it can double as a clickstand and emergency dog deterent!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools