Topic

2 Long Wide Pads in a Double Rainbow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 Long Wide Pads in a Double Rainbow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nick H
    BPL Member

@galway

I am pretty settled on a TT Double Rainbow for use as a single person tent. I use long wide Exped pads because I hate having my arms fall off the side of my pad. On the off chance I need to put someone else in my tent would 2 LW pads fit? Has anyone actually tried this. By the specs it looks like it would be right on the edge. I assume a regular and a LW would fit, but has anyone confirmed that?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Yes, two wide (25" x 77") pads fit. Here's what that looks like –>

Double Rainbow with two wide pads

Nick H
    BPL Member

@galway

Thanks, looks tight but doable. Are those pads truly 25" wide?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Yes, truly 25" wide–25" x 77" x 2"

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/pads/air-pads/lightweight-air-pad#.UTZZA6VOR0c

(SKU: 7251012 ; size: Long)

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I'm currently eyeing the new Exped UL 7 MW pads, which have a stated width of 26 inches. I wonder if two of those would be too much for my Double Rainbow though?

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

If you let the bathtub floor drop they will fit. With the bathtub floor raised it will be tight though I doubt it would damage the tent.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> I'm currently eyeing the new Exped UL 7 MW pads, which have a stated width of 26 inches. I wonder if two of those would be too much for my Double Rainbow though?

You wont't hurt anything and the full, flattened floor width is 58" so 2 x 26" will fit with leftover floor wraparound.

-H

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Thanks for the direct product support Henry! :)

Your post is encouraging, and I might just have to give those two pads a try for my wife and I. As long as there is enough wraparound to cradle the sides of the 26 inch wide pads (and it sounds like there might be), then having that tight fit might actually be a welcome feature for my wife and I, as the pads would have much less room to move laterally (something that is always a struggle when sleeping two).

I'll report back if I do end up buying those pads and giving it a go.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

Selling that DR to you was among my largest regrets of recent memory…..damn I miss that tent….gonna have to give henry another $300

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Rick,
    You did sell me that didn't you? Well, thank you kindly my friend! :)

Luckily, even the brand new ones are very reasonably priced… The DR sure offers a lot of "bang-for-your-buck." Henry clearly runs a great operation to offer such a quality product at an affordable price.

Anyway, rest assured that your former Double Rainbow is in good hands and is quite well-loved!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools