Topic

How to plan your own route for a long distance hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning How to plan your own route for a long distance hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    German Tourist
    BPL Member

@germantourist

Locale: in my tent

In the last couple of years I have planned the route for several long distance hikes all over Europe including a "thruhike" of the UK from John O'Groats to Land's End of 2,000 km and a 4,500 km hike across Western Europe.

I had ample opportunity to learn how to plan your own route, what (online) resources to use and what logistical problems to solve. I want to share my experience with other prospective hikers planning similar long distance hikes and have written a comprehensive article about route planning on my blog. As this article contains a lot of web links and those are very awkward to embed into BPL forum posts I just want to refer you to my blog. You will find the article here:

How to plan your own route for a long-distance hike

The article is mostly geared towards hiking in Europe and contains links to various European internet resources but the description of the planning process might be useful for all hikers planning their own routes.

I am always looking forward to feedback and of course will answer further questions.

Hope this will be useful for other hikers!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I really love your blog and all the time and effort you put into it and helping others,I have referred several people to it.You have done some amazing trips.Thanks So Much for all you do!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

+1 Anna

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 to Spelt's +1 to Anna.

Your trip reports have a wonderful honesty about what works and doesn't work on your journeys. You've seen trails and parts of America that many of us won't see (at least for some time!).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools