Topic

Kids winter list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Kids winter list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Here is the clothing and shelter from a ski trip last weekend with my 5 yr old.

Temps were highs in mid 20's(-5C) and lows around 8F(-13C).

For clothes she wore:

Smartwool Kids Ski socks
    Midweight HH long underpants
    Icebreaker longsleeve lightweight merino shirt
    Fleece vest
    Cioch Kids pants and jacket: These are made from Nikwax Analogy, the same fabric as Paramo.
    Thin Balaclava
    Wool hat
    Thick mittens
    While getting ready at the car, we put our down jackets over the top, and she never took hers off again.
    Marmot Kids Amadablam Down Parka

Then in camp I added:
    Fleece pants (under her shell pants)
    Exchanged ski boots for snow boots(Keen)
    Thin fleece gloves

At night, she removed the Cioch suit and down jacket and put on:

Dry socks (same as others)
    My wife's Goosefeet down socks.

She slept in a regular size Marmot Col Dryloft, -20F (-29C) down bag, with a Gore Dryloft shell.

She started out on an old style Neoair on top of a 1/2"(12mm) closed cell foam pad, but ended up on just the foam pad, because the airmat was sliding around to much.
    Next time I will just bring one pad for her, little kids just can't deal with stuff moving around at night.

We slept in a Hex3, a floorless tipi tent. This was alright with the cold, dry snow and consistently freezing temps we had. If it was any warmer I would bring the inner tent, as it is hard for me, let alone a small child, to keep snow off your sleeping pad and stay on the pad at night.

The floorless tent did have the benefit of being able to let her take a pee break without getting out of the tent, making that much quicker and easier.

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

I've got a 7 & 6 year old that I take with me on adventures. I really appreciate that you shared their clothing lists. I've also fought with the staying on the pad issue and resorted to sleeping with bivy sacks for the kids. They just roll around too much during the night. We also sleep in a floorless pyramid shelter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools