Topic

Zion questions–mosquitos? snow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Zion questions–mosquitos? snow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Planning "Zion traverse" from west to east on the last weekend of March.

1. Are there mosquitos or other annoying bugs in Zion? (do I need my deet/headnet that I take for July sierra nevada trips?)

2. Im watching the weather/snowpack somewhat. For those more familiar, what do you think the higher elevations are like so far this year? Is there a lot of snow accumulation up high so far?

Mike Schasch
    BPL Member

@mschasch

Hey there, I live in the place so here ya go.

1. USUALLY I don't experience mosquitoes/noseeums in Zion. Not a lot of standing water and noseeums seem to enjoy lower elevations. Take a bit of deet, no need for headnet.

2.Just flew over Zion in a plane the other day (lucky me), most the traverse is damn near hike-able now. Not a lot of snow at all. Of course this will change a few times (like this weekend) as we get a few more snow storms. The snow will melt fast (temps have been up to the 70's already). Hopefully not too many cold storms hit between now and your hike.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Mike,

I tried responding to your information on the previous thread about my Zion itinerary (now on page 2 of this forum). I see that you don't have a PM option on your profile. Could you help me out?

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Thank you Mike, very helpful info.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Any updates on trail conditions in higher elevation areas of Zion?

Are there any crazy stream crossings to worry about? Major snow accumulation?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools