Topic

light weight running shorts and shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) light weight running shorts and shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Im looking for the LIGHTEST running clothing currently available.

Vendors, and websites dont list many weights.

I have a pair of underarmour shorts that are 3.3 oz in Medium, and a Nike mesh dryfit shirt that is 3.6 oz in Large.

These are the lightest I could find in my local stores. Im really surprised that some mens running shorts sold are extremely heavy, and long. Shirts probably average 5oz too.

Im concerned about the wt, because I will carry these most of the time, not be wearing them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, i don't know if it's "THE" lightest or not, but i recently bought a pair of nylon supplex shorts on ebay for 1 dollar, in a "scalloped" style (meaning, don't wear if very well endowed because stuff will be hanging out), and after cutting out the lining, they weighed 1.7 oz i believe. I don't like polyester linings, i make my own Linen-Poly blend underwear, which is superb in comfort, smell control, drying and wicking (70% Linen and 30% Polyester, in a light/thin and somewhat open weave).

And yes, i do plan to wear them come the very warm temps.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Arcteryx Phase SL T-shirt is 3.4oz.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

If you search racing shorts or split shorts you will probably find the lightest shorts available. I doubt there will be weights listed, but these would be the lightest and shortest out there.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I have a pair of these and love them. In the summer they are my goto running shorts. Listed at 3.9 oz, but they come with a liner that you could cut out (it's useful to me for running but you may not need them if they will be living in your pack).

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-strider-shorts-5-inch?p=24641-0-889

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Go dig around at a thrift shop for old running shorts and trim them down to size/spec, then throw a hem on the cut to mitigate fraying (usually not a problem with poly or nylon).

I buy used running shorts in various lengths and cut them down to size, using a very light pair of New Balance split shorts that fit me well as a rudimentary "template". I would say all of my shorts are in the 2-3oz. Weight range.

New Balance makes some really light race shorts for running that are insanely gossamer. Not for the modest, but damn light and they make you look fast. Make sure you have legs and know how to use them.

Running Warehouse always has dirt cheap sales on clothing. They also list weights. If you don't strike gold locally, then they're your best bet online. Free 2 day shipping/return shipping to boot.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

whatever is cheap, on sale, and feels light and thin

discount stores always have name brand adidas, nike, etc … on deep discounts

dont over think it ;)

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

"dont over think it ;)"

If there's one place where it's generally acceptable to compare shorts by the ounces, it's the backpacking light forums. I encourage you to overthink it, because at a certain point, ounces matter.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

For running shorts????

Any good discount store will have thin gossamer shorts for cheap

There isnt much out there that is a lot lighter

Dont overthink it ;)

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

nope

the running stores around me, have heavy 4-6 oz shorts, primarily heavy 4-6 oz shirts too. If it was easy, I wouldnt ask for reccomendations.

No one seems to carry the old thin, split up the side shorts of yesteryear locally anymore.

Even the NB store has nothing but heavy clothes.

I would think you could find shorts that were 1-2oz, and a shirt that was 2-2.5, but not easily.

Much of the wt of shorts is in an overbuilt elastic waistband. Im pretty sure I could make a pair with a drawstring that came in around 1oz if I was inclined, but Im not.

Oh yes, they have them for WOMEN, just not for men.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Soccer store?

Umbros/ lotto style?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Umbros used to make some that I bought for kids some yrs ago.
    no jock, just shorts
    Havent seen them around here in years.

never seen a soccer store

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Cause its football not soccer?

My tiny town in north Mississippi had one so they can't be THAT rare.

FWIW I haven't seen any in years either

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

I really like my Pata Strider short shorts as well, but the band is what brings it up to 4oz.

Soffe men's running shorts? Can't find how much they weigh but they don't seem to have an overbuilt band, and the inseam is 2.25in. For $10 it could be worth a try.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

out of curiosity :) I weighed my "short" shorts (size medium)- Patagonia 3" Striders- 3.5 oz, MH Ultafueler 3.5"- 3.5 oz

and then my short sleeve shirts (size large)- MH Way2cool -3.9 oz, Pat Cap 1-3.6 oz, OR Echo- 3.1 oz

Jan S

@karl-ton

"No one seems to carry the old thin, split up the side shorts of yesteryear locally anymore."

Yeah, seems it was yesterday that I laughed at people for wearing the leftovers from the seventies. Now that I want them they have magically disappeared. Pity.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Like these and these ,do you have to buy locally or can you order a pair.

Jan S

@karl-ton

Yes, finally something that lists options. Now I only have to find a shop in Germany or Europe. But at least I know now what to look for. Thanks!

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Large umbros soccer shorts….2.7oz.

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I stopped by a thrift shop today, took 10min to find a pair of Bike nylon shorts.
    No inner liner.

1.9 oz. $3

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Excellent! Thrift stores usually have a wide selection of good quality running shorts. Many have liners that can be easily and cleanly removed if you don't like them. When this thread was first posted I did some surfing to see if weights were include (about the same as other gear– none or inaccurate). But I was surprised at the prices: the name brand running shorts are more expensive than I imagined, making the thrift store finds so much more a bargain.

Another thrift store bargain can be tees given out at marathons. Some are major brands and made of light stuff to keep the costs down. If you live near a big city that has running events, the shirts end up in the thrift stores. If you don't mind wearing someone's advertizing, they can be light breathable stuff and at $1.99, you won't cuss like you might when snagging your new $50 PatiFace goodie.

The hard part in making recommendations on gear like this it that it changes all the time: the base layer tee I bought last summer could be a whole different animal today, and the manufacturer will use the same model name just to keep it interesting. This is one of the things where taking the scale to store starts to make sense.

Have you considered sleeveless shirts? They can be crazy light. I assume you are doing this dance to have a hot weather alternative, or something to wear when washing your other stuff. For the latter, Thru-hikers have been known to wear their rain gear in the laundromat :)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools