Topic

Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT tarp tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT tarp tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I ran across a blurb on the new Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT tarp tent. It is much like the GoLite Shangrila 2, with a reported weight of 2lbs. MSRP is $129.95.

Has anybody had a look at one? Mountainsmith is touting a 2lb 50 liter pack as well (Haze). Sounds like they are dipping a toe into true UL waters.

http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/mountain-shelter-lt.html

http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/haze-50.html

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Dale,

I noticed this shelter in Backpacking Magazine annual gear review issue.

I ordered one this weekend. I purchased it at Overstock.com for $99.95! The shipping adds another six bucks or so. The weight listed as 1 lb. 15.5 oz includes the 13 stakes provided at 0.3 oz per stake or 3.9 oz total. Thus the tarp itself is 28 ounces. 54 square feet is huge and a 53" height at the door is quite large as well.

I normally use a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter and I love it. But when I take my dog, a yellow lab, I need a fully enclosed shelter otherwise he is on guard all night keeping me awake and not resting himself.

I've been told I will have it by 3/11. Overstock.com has a 30 day, unused, return policy.

Take care,
    Rodney

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I was loaned one to field test last summer. It worked out fine for me in the Sierra. It was very light, easy to pitch, and did well in the rain. I'd like to have one, but I didn't get to keep it.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Bob,

Did you write a report for MountainSmith on this shelter. If so, I would be interested in reading it.

Thanks,
    Rodney

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I wrote a report, and took a video of me setting it up solo, for Backpacker Mag. I don't know that they ever used it. Where we were there were no mosquitoes, which would be my only concern. I didn't know the dimensions of it, so I didn't have a ground cloth that fit. Next time I'd bring something. You use two hiking poles for setup, so for two people, you'd have the poles between you, but there was plenty of room inside. It rained one night, and was windy another night, and it did just fine. I'd like to have a couple for my scout troop.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools