Topic

Cuben off gassing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben off gassing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I just received my ZPacks Arc Blast Saturday, just before my snow camping trip. I took the time to unpack it, take a few pics and wonder how I'm gonna use such a small pack.:) Smells like a drug lab from previous exploring where people have been picked up. I'm thinking I'll have to store the pack in the garage, in with kerosene fumes that linger after my weekly old stove fire ups. I wonder how long the pack will smell?
    Duane

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Duane,

I'm just guessing, but i would think any smell is not necessarily coming from the cuben fabric itself, but from any tape, glue, and/or seem sealer possibly used in the construction of said pack.

I received a Zpacks "fanny pack" a little while back, which looks just sewn and not seem sealed, and there was no smell to it at all as far as i could tell.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Mine smelled odd until I took it out on a trip. Of course, I kinda liked it…..

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

When I ordered my Hexamid and quilt I noticed a big stink when I opened the box. I also ordered some tape and some repair patches and the adhesive on these really stank. My quilt stank for weeks, but now smells fine.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Glad to know there were some others that noticed. I finally realized late yesterday that I had thrown some paper towels with citrus paint remover in my trash, from stripping paint off an old embossed Optimus 8R stove. (single guys can do that) So I'll see if any odors remain this Friday when I get back home from work for the week. In-between the paint odors from the drying stove. Single guys can do that too.
    Duane

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Think of it like that new car smell. It won't last for long.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools