Topic

5’x8′ cuben flat tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 5’x8′ cuben flat tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Im looking for a 5'x8' flat tarp made of cuben fabric.

the closest I have found is the MLD monk spectralite .60. but it is only 4 feet wide, thats a little too narrow for me.

And if BMW ever comes out with a stealth NANO X tarp, it will only be 4'3"x7'9"

will i have to get a tarp custom made?

thanks

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

FYI On Cuben:

The roll widths are 48". A few odd rolls are 50 or even the super rare 52 ( we're talking bigfoot rare- so no use calling them to wrangle width short lengths… 48" is the standard and products must be figured on this roll width.

A wider tarp is only possible with a seam -More cost in material and labor.

In the future (quite a few months away) , all the cuben weights will be standarized at 50".

-Ron

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Thanks Ron,

I forgot about that.

The monk spinntex .97 is 4.6'x9'
    do you have an estimate price or weight for a custom 5×8 spinntex flat tarp?

how strong/waterproof/puncture resistant is spinntex compared to Cuben?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I'm actually looking to something similar but for 2 persons, made of cuben or spinnaker and with lots of tieouts (16-18). All the models I've found seem to be catenary cut which limits te pitching options.
    Hope you don't mind Ryan.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

You might check with
    Quest Outfitters, they are selling 54" Cuben Fiber – about 0.43 ounces per sq yard. This is 54" after the edge stuff is trimmed away. I have a bunch of the same 54" stuff that I plan to use for tarps.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I own a Cuben "Cat Bird" tarp from Oware, that I got at a discount because his stitching ran over a little on this one. It's not quite flat, though, it has little, built-in beaks at each end, and is about 6.25 oz. It may be all sold out in Cuben.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Hi Bill,

My guess on the wider cuben at Quest is that is was from a much earlier production run that Cuben Corp is no longer are set up to make.

My width info is from this week talking to the Cuben folks about widths. I was looking into a special run of wide and they gave me the new info I posted above.

So, if you are DYI'er want wider and the Quest weight and construction is something you want, jump on it!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Ron,

I got my 54" Quest Cuben back in Sept. 2005.

Yes, I would guess it is long out of Cuben Corps inventory. What I have gotten from Cuben Corp since then has been anywhere from 48 to 50 something inches wide.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I have a couple of 8×10 flat tarps from the white spinnaker.
    They have 12 tieouts on the hems and 4 in the center. 9.5
    ounces. They are listed in my online shopping cart under
    flattarp2.

Dave
    http://owareusa.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools