Topic

Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Obviously this is going to vary depending on where you live and hike, but assuming you've got your sleep system dialed in, I'm wondering how many bags/quilts you have and what range of degrees they cover. Right now I have a 20 degree quilt and a 30 degree bag that I switch off using, and a 0 degree bag. For me, I would think insulation pieces at 0, 20, and 40 degrees would be sufficient (but obviously I'm still working it out). Anything below 0 and the 40 degree could be layered on top, anything above 60 or so I could open up the 40 degree piece or else just sleep in my clothes. Thoughts?

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

One 30 degree quilt. I don't ever go out when it gets below 20's. If warmer, I'll just use it loosely like a blanket. I avoid having more than one item of the same type of gear.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

I admire your minimalism, honestly. I've been slowly changing my life to be able to live with fewer possessions. But I like to ski and hike in winter and that requires a dedicated cold weather bag.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have been fine with a 15f quilt and a 40f quilt. The 15f quilt is fine for me down to 0f and the 40f quilt is good to the mid twenties by augmenting either with what I normally carry.

I don't get out much in sub zero temps but would double the two up if need be. If I found myself out routinely in sub zero conditions I would add a mummy bag to the two previously mentioned quilts. I had an FF Peregrine for many years and it was too warm unless the temps dropped below zero but it was a very cozy cocoon in the extreme cold and completely draft free.

Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

A 20 degree bag and a 45 degree bag.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Up until now I always had a 3 season bag and a winter one, just recently added a quilt for summer use.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have 2 bags: a WM Ultralite and a Katabatic Alsek. I bring the Alsek for all of my 3 season trips, and when my wife joins me she brings the Ultralite. In the winter, I layer the Alsek over the WM (which fits perfectly) and have the equivalent of a 0F bag.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Interesting so far that no one's had more than two. I wonder if a 20 and a 40 degree together would really get me down to 0. If I don't sleep I'm a wreck, so I'd prefer to err on the warm side. I may make a summer quilt and do some experimenting, though.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Sounds like a good candidate for doing some backyard testing. I also generally have a warm down jacket with me when winter camping, which adds another 7 oz of down if I need it. You'll have warmer clothing with you too, which should extend your 20 degree bag further than usual. But I don't know how cold your winters are…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have a:
    BPL Pro 90 Quilt 50* 12oz
    Golite Ultra 20 Quilt 30* 19oz
    Javan Dempsey Quilt 20* 20oz
    Mountain Hardwear Phantom 0* 43oz

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I've been using a two-quilt quiver happily for the last few years and it has covered most of my needs:

30*F Katabatic Palisade
    15*F Katabatic Sawatch

These two quilts get me through most of my encountered conditions comfortably. With insulated clothing, I can get down a bit below 15*F with the Sawatch and at the opposite end of the spectrum, in warm conditions, I've simply draped the Palisade over me (or hang a leg out) and been okay.

I've recently decided to add a third quilt, a 50*F synthetic quilt from EE to my quiver. The main purpose for the quilt will be to add to my 15*F quilt for trips that get down to around the low single digits and/or zero *F. I may also use it from time to time on warm spring/summer trips when anticipated lows are only in the 50s or so.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hmmm. A Katabatic Palisade, and a Katabatic overstuffed Sawatch. An Enlightened Equipment 40 degree cuben quilt and a 20 degree cuben quilt, as well as a 50 degree cuben light-as-a-feather summer quilt and a cuben hammock underquilt. A Nunatak Raku (20 degree) bag and a Nunatak 5 degree Expedition quilt (currently for sale).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools