Topic

West coast trip recommendations for someone with bad knees

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning West coast trip recommendations for someone with bad knees

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

Hi guys, I have a somewhat specific set of needs for a family trip I'd like to plan for late summer. I grew up backpacking with my parents, but in the last 10 years my mother's knees have started to go. She's had surgery on one and is in good shape right now, but long ascents and descents are hard on her and result in a terrible night's sleep. We have a tradition now of doing one family backpacking trip each year that is low impact so that everyone can come.

Last year, we did Third Beach to Hoh River on the Pacific Coast in Olympic National Park. That trail is roughly 20 miles, and save for two or three headlands that require a very short up-and-over, the trail is basically walking along the beach. My mom enjoyed this trip immensely. It was the first trip in a few years where she wasn't in any pain at all. We took 5 days to do the hike, with one no-hike day for relaxing on the beach, so we were going at a leisurely 5mi-per-day pace.

She's in even better shape this year (her knee and overall), but has requested another hike that won't test her knees. I've been thinking about doing a strip of the Lost Coast in northern California?

Does anyone have any ideas? We'd be willing to go anywhere in WA, OR, CA, and maybe western NV or AZ for the right hike, it doesn't need to be coastal, but those trails are often pretty flat, obviously.

Thanks!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Close to home for you: Enchanted Valley!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There's a hike along the eastern side of Lake Chelan in WA (I haven't hiked this and can't remember the name of the hike). I believe this hike follows the lake with relatively little elevation gains or losses. To start the hike, you leave your car in Chelan and ride the Lady of the Lake ferry to a drop-off point along the lake. The trail then heads north to Stehekin, WA. I'm guessing (trying to remember what I read) that this would be 2-4 nights. You could stay a final night in Stehekin, day-hike or relax a little and then ride the ferry back to Chelan.

Edit: Here is a link to the WTA page for the "Chelan Lakeshore Trail"

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/seasonal-hikes/hikes-of-the-week/hikes/chelan-lakeshore

Edit again! The above WTA link looks like the northern end as a out-and-back dayhike from Stehekin. Here's a article about the longer trail:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/may/29/hikers-set-sights-low/

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

This (Enchanted Valley) looks like a great option. I actually grew up in CA, so I hadn't heard of this one.

The Chelan option sounds great too, I'll have to dig into that one a little more. A nice option for seeking out warmer weather too.

I'm going to put together some info on these and run them by mom.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I always hear about bears in Enchanted Valley, but maybe that's just early in season

Rogue River would be good, but kind of hot late in summer

Ozette to Rialto Beach on Olympic coast is another good one

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Hoh River Trail comes to mind. You could do that and the Cape Alava Trail as they are in the same neighborhood.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/hoh-river

There the Creeky Knees hiking guides for Oregon and Washington and Northern California with collections of hikes aimed at your audience.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools