Topic

Srping trip to GSMNP 6 days 5 nights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Srping trip to GSMNP 6 days 5 nights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Graves
    BPL Member

@elgraves

Locale: Middle of TN

This is my first posting of my gear list. I have gotten on this forum and it has helped me out a lot. All the weights are in oz. According to the Gram Weenie application on my iPad the total pack weight is 19.58 lbs. what are your thoughts and tips to shave a little weight off. Thanks in advance.

All items in oz.
    Packing,,
    Borah Stealth,13.8

Shelter,
    Guy Lines,2.0
    Stakes And Bag,3.7
    Bivy,6.1,
    Borah Gear Tarp,9.1
    Poncho /Groundsheet,5.0

Sleep,,
    Neo Air,12.5
    Zpacks 30,15.8
    Zpacks down hood,1.3

Cooking,,
    Platypus 1.0 Liter,1.0
    Aquamira,3.1
    GSI Pot with Cat Can Stove,7.8
    Platypus 2 Liter,3.0

Clothing,,
    Wind Jacket,5.3
    Ex Officio Boxers,3.2
    Tan Long Smartwool Socks,2.4
    Wool Buff,1.7
    REI Long Underwear Bottoms,8.0
    Rain Chaps,1.9
    Nano Puff,11.2

Other,,
    Trowel,3.8
    Fresh Wipes,4.5,
    50ft Rope,3.6
    Ditty Sack,0.5
    1oz Dr. Brommers,1.4
    Repair Kit,0.8
    Pills,1.2
    Purell,2.3
    Mini Bic,0.3
    Toothbrush,0.5
    S-Biner,1.1
    Knife,2.5

Worn,,
    Brown REI Hat,1.1
    Gaiters,1.0
    Watch,1.4
    Belt,2.8
    REI Long Sleeve Shirt,7.8
    Brown REI Pants,14.3
    Brooks Trail Runners,26

Consumables,,
    TP,3.9
    Food,150.3
    Alcohol Fuel,17.6

PS for those using an iPad I recommend getting the gram weenie app. It helped me out a lot.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

Looks good to me… But, I would reduce the Dr. Bronner's and the Purell. Yeah, it saves only a bit but it's the thought that counts.
    WHen I'm on the trail for 7 days, I take 1 oz of hand sanitizer and between .25 and .5 oz of Dr. Bronner's. 1 drop'll do you for everything you need.

Also,

Enjoy the trip!

Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Locale: Michigan

You could cut a couple ounces for ~$12 by getting some lighter rope. Small stuff though, overall it looks great and I may steal a couple of ideas.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

You can save half a pound by replacing your guylines with litetrail gline, as well as the 50 ft. Also Ditch the trowel.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Bring a snow stake instead of a trowel – works almost as well and can be used as a spare tent stake. ~1 oz.

Given the nature of Eastern trails it's often necessary to use a tool to dig a large enough cathole.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

What is your definition of spring?

The smokies can still get snow in May.
    Need to be prepared for almost anything up till end of May.
    April can see very cold temps and snow.
    I think you need more insulation, a puffy etc if you will hit the high elevations. In the low country you wont have issues.

Eric Graves
    BPL Member

@elgraves

Locale: Middle of TN

I'll be going the second week in April. I've got the Patagonia Nano puff that keeps me pretty warm with all the other stuff on. I've also got a wool hat and gainer that I could throw in there if the temps look like the might dip down. As far as sleeping at night I think I'm only at a higher elevation for one or two nights.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

You could have beautiful sunny mild days, a week of dreary cold rain, a 18" dump of snow that strands you, or overnight temps that plummet to single digits in early April at the higher elevations. Just have to be prepared for it all, keep an eye on the forecast before you head out. Never hurts to carry extra insulation, food, and fuel if there is any question at all about the weather forecast.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools