Topic

Always trying to get a little lighter…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Always trying to get a little lighter…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

OK, so I mostly go solo, in the mid atlantic and midwest, also looking at doing some section hiking on the AT this year. A few areas I am looking at now, water filter and tarp, I am looking at upgrading to a cuben fiber HG tarp and also may go with a 40 degree underquilt to save a few ounces. This is my set up for 3 season down to 40, above that I just adjust my top quilt to the 20 version. Any advice would be appreciated.

Item Weight

BMJ Tarp w/pegs 18.8
    WBBB 1.1 dbl 28.9
    HG topquilt 15.25
    WM Pillow 4.7
    WL UQ 19.7
    GG TL pad 3.7
    GG Mariposa 27.6
    First Aid 5.8
    Hygiene 5.8
    REI towel 2.1
    bandana 1
    bear line 1.2
    headlamp 2.8
    hat/balaclava 1.2
    dri ducks 6
    compass 0.9
    Duck Tape 1.7
    P2 Leatherman 1.9
    Pencil-Pad 2.1
    Pocket Bucket 2.6
    Hiker Pro 13.8
    5 mil bag 2.3
    plate/bowl 1.5
    Bags 3.5
    spork 0.4
    Titan Kettle 4.3
    Alc Stove 1.2
    Fuel 6
    Fire kit 3.8
    socks x3 5.1
    Under Garments 4
    Shirt-Pat-#2 6.6
    Shirt-NB 5.7
    TNF-convertables 12.9

Total 224.85 oz 14.053125 lbs

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Just picking out a couple things.

Pocket Bucket 2.6
    Hiker Pro 13.8

What's the bucket for?

That filter is a monster. Aqua Mira or even saywer squeeze could really reduce the weight of your water treatment and both are simpler to use.

Also

First Aid 5.8
    Hygiene 5.8
    REI towel 2.1

These items could equal about 4oz total if you rethink, reduce, and repackage them.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

What do you do with the pocket bucket? Not saying you don't need it, but it jumped off the list as something I never thought to carry.

On the topic of water, have you looked into the Sawyer Squeeze filter (3oz)? Or if you really like to have a lot of water handy, could go with the Katadyn Base Camp(11oz) and replace the Pocket Bucket and Hiker Pro.

I think I'd probably pick either the towel or bandanna, although a baby blue REI towel isn't maybe as fashionable when worn as a Du Rag.

Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

Yeah, the hiker pro is heavy, I need ot look into these other options I do have the chlorine tabs, but prefer filtered. The pocket bucket is a collapsible bucket I use for having water handy, come to think of it, I do not use it much, so I can just unload it. Good food for thought. I would like to be at about 12# total base weight, these items could help me get there.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

How about the WM Pillow 4.7?

I had a corner of my closet dedicated to "backpacking" pillows that weren't able to match the comfort of a wad clothes in a stuff sack. I think I just left them all there when I moved, because they were all so useless.

A wad of clothes wrapped in a shirt works too, and I think I'd much rather "spend" that weight towards another layer than carry it just for sleeping.

Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

I like to be comfortable, that is why I have the pillow, but honestly I have not ever tried clothes in a stuff sack. I will do that on my next outing to see how it works for me. I think I may just need to scrutinize some items more closely that perhaps I thought I already had…but that's why I am here, right? Thanks-Lance

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

>>I like to be comfortable, that is why I have the pillow.

I know the feeling, the right pillow can sometimes mean more to me than the surface I'm sleeping on. Problem is, most pillows designed for backpacking seem to either go flat when you lay your head on them for long, that or they just aren't very comfortable or stable. Closest I got was an air core with a soft exterior, it was comfortable enough, but it was constantly squirting away from me in the night.

If you're going to try clothes in a stuff sack, depending on the stuff sack material, you may want to wrap it inside a shirt. Or else your face might sweat and stick to the bag. A friend of mine brings a small silk pillowcase/sack that he stuffs all his clothes in for his pillow, that seems to work good too.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found that a pillow made a big difference in the quality of my sleep. I use a Cocoon Ultralight pillow. You can save an once is with the Hyperlight model, but the UL has a fleecy material on one side rather than ripstop nylon all around. The Cocoon pillows have a layer of polyester fill over an air bladder. They are warmer, stay put better and don't feel like you're sleeping on a beach ball.

If you are going to do the clothing/stuff sack thing, Therm-a-Rest makes one with micro fleece inside, so you can turn it inside out to use as a pillow. I've seen others with a fleece panel on one side, etc.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I put clothes in a Exped Snozzle pump bag then put a buff over it.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I used to carry a thermarest medium pillow (9oz). Last weekend I used my synthetic insulating jacket, which packs into its own pocket, and then put my buff over it. Was even more comfortable for side sleeping than my thermarest because it is a little taller and firmer.

Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

I like the idea of a comfy pillow case to stuff in. I use the western mountaineerrng cloudrest and find it comfortable enough, but I will try a few other configurations to see if I can save a few ounces. I would love to get to about 12# base weight.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

re: jackets and clothes for pillows

great idea right up until you need more warmth or dryness while sleeping. I don't carry much for spare clothing and that tends to be one of the easiest ways to drop weight. 2oz for an inflatable pillow is pretty marginal when you can take x oz off your sleep system if you can use your jacket for extra warmth if needed.

i have a short sleeve baselayer and a long sleeve and whichever i dont wear to bed i just lay over my exped for a pillow case of sorts.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

>great idea right up until you need more warmth or dryness while sleeping

That is a concern. The times I've had to wear most my pillow fillings and my head was propped up on pretty miserable bump I made from what was left, I wish I would of found a pillow I've liked. If I'm honest though, this happens to me rarely enough that I'm willing to risk it now and then.

Curious, are you a side sleeper, if so, do you not find yourself waking up frequently to adjust the pillow placement? I was using the Cocoon Air-Core for a while, but it was a struggle to keep it under my head. I think that thing was like 5 ounces or more, so wad of clothes is more of a comfort thing than for weight saving. Although, it was nice when I switched to think of it as a weight saving too, on top of it working a lot better for me.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Cushie-Roll-Pillow-Blue/dp/B002XO7ICY/ref=pd_sim_hg_3

Yup, not UL. Doesn't compact smaller for packing. Don't care, it's exceptionally comfortable, especially for side sleeping. I like my sleep, and haven't found anything that works better for me.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Yep, side sleeper. I only inflate the exped pillow (2-3oz max, i ditch the stuff sack) part way so it isn't a balloon and i'm good to go. other benefit of having a shirt over the pillow is it adds a little bit of grip. before i switched to quilts i could put it in the mummy hood of my sleeping bag and that keeps it in one spot too.

2 things will mess up my sleeping. not having a pillow and being cold so 2oz is well worth it to have both.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

>> I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Cushie-Roll-Pillow-Blue/dp/B002XO7ICY/ref=pd_sim_hg_3

That looks cozy… you got any idea of the weight?

These micro bead pillows from Kikkerland are like 7oz, but they are disguised as logs, so you can at least look like a hard boiled ULighter. Although, somebody also might burn your pillow by mistake.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Platanus-Micro-Bead-Cushion/dp/B0099PEWFQ/ref=pd_sim_hg_2

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I had one of those log ones, very comfy, but much bigger than it needed to be. That's why I went with the mini. Weighs just under 4.5 oz. on my cheapo kitchen scale.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Couple of items I see to reduce or cut

GG thinlight pad – What are you using this for when you already have an under quilt?
    First Aid 5.8
    Hygene 5.8. First Aid is very personal so take what you want and make sure you know how to use everything you take. Hygene is definately bloated

Bags – what are you using these for. I take a packliner and a food bag for a total of about 2.5 ounces. You have a 5 mil bag and bags for a total of 6

Fire kit 3.8 seems heavy. Can you consistantly start fire with less?
    Socks – 3 pairs plus worn or 3 total? I think you can get buy with 2 one sleep sock one waliking sock
    Shirts – 2 plus one worn or just 2 total? Having a clean sleep shirt i a nice luxury, you can go with just 1, or if just for sleeping comfort you can get down to 4 oz versions
    TNF covertables – worn or packed? Definately dont need extra pair.

Generally when calculating baseweight you dont include what you hike in all the time or your fuel so those can be removed to better compare with others

Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

Thanks, I will be scrutinizing and reporting for sure. I use th thin light to sit on or as a back up, maybe I do not need it. I just switched to the mariposa, so maybe I just use the one in the pack, or cut down the thin light and use it in the pack and under my lower legs since the under quilt is 2/3 length. Good stuff. Thanks-lance

Lance Stalnaker
    Spectator

@katangi

OK, so here is som gear I ordered this week to shed some weight, also, I am going to go through my first aid, hygiene, fire kit, etc to shed more there. I will update the list as well.

HG Cuben Fiber tarp, save 10 oz
    Whoopie slings for hammock suspension-have not weighed, about 3- 4 oz savings, I hope
    HG 40 degree underquilt, save 7 oz
    Sawyer Squeeze, save 10 oz

With other changes I am making I am just under 12#, which was my goal. Thankss a lot! Lance

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Now you can carry much more booze (I assume that's why everybody tries to get their base weight down).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools