Topic

Big Agnes “Q Core SL” REALLY DISSAPOINTED!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes “Q Core SL” REALLY DISSAPOINTED!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Dang. Ben got all smart on me.

James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Locale: south

Very cool math! Extrapolating weight vs. in2. They could have chosen to make it wider to match the earlier versions width, kept the depth to 3.5 to keep the R5 value and still had a very respectable weight.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I know T- When I see all that stuff I'm like whaaa?

Two of my best friends: one a math teacher, one a polymer scientist.

They call me for spelling, I call them for math.

Sorry for the thread drift!

Re BA pads: I gave up on BA pads when I saw Benders picture of a cut one. The amount of insulation was very disappointing. I will argue till I die that my original Neo air is warmer than my "R4" BAIAC. Got cold on it and I wasn't even on snow. WEAK

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I had 3 pads by Bender when he was in service. They all were made well, and I always had good customer service from him, despite some of the later accounts.

The first pad I got was 18.5" wide when inflated (was spec'd to be a 20" pad). I let Bender know, and my next two were slightly over spec, like by 1/2-1", which was very welcome.

It's sad that guy just disappeared without a trace.

Randy Thornton
    Spectator

@ochocoman

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades

Returned mine last week to REI – I had the same issue. 20 "is a narrow fit for me to start with, but it was definitely not even that.

I wish there were more pads wider but not longer, or even a bit shorter. As a roving side sleeper, I need some width in my upper body to roll over and around on, but don't need it wide below.

The human body and its sleeping positions are not rectangles.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Just for poops and laughs, I emailed the link to this thread to BA. Here was the response:

Hi Travis-

Thanks for the email. I will certainly pass this feedback along and we appreciate it. We certainly never try to misrepresent our products and it is always tough trying to shave ounces and packed size while still keeping the pad comfortable and warm. I will pass this along to our design team now. I have used the heck out of the new Q-Core SL and have really enjoyed it. Really the same comfort as the standard Q-Core with a great packed size and weight.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I remember back in mid 2000 — BA's published "average" tent weights were always off — meaning always heavier than actual, of course. They corrected their tent specs (probably because they knew people who spring the bucks for an SL tent would verify) — but their sleeping bags were still spec'ed lighter than actual.

Gearmakers that publish honest specs? The boutique UL ones like Big Sky, Henry Shires, Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs, ZPacks, etc.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Just for poops and laughs, I emailed the link to this thread to BA. Here was the response:"

So did you poop or laugh?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Well, I laughed really hard…..and well, you know the rest.

David Ure

@familyguy

Indeed.

James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Thats great Travis, I never thought to send this to BA. Glad to hear they are receiving valuable feedback about their products. I am really sure he has spent a lot of great nights on the pad. Is he missing the point! We are not questioning how comfortable the pad is. Shame on BA!!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

They should use a lighter denier fabric, not sacrifice width.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

So, now I want to know how the SL "WIDE" that's specced at 25", **actually** sizes out. If that one's undersized as well, it might then fit in my BA pad sleeve and give me a 22" pad instead of a 20 (?).

Still frustrating that a product designer would skimp on width in a sleeping pad on the 20" platform. C'mon! Why not make'em 12" and we can just balance all night. Ultralighters would buy them! Do it, do it!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@ Travis:

So, any response from BA?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Nope. Just what I posted above.

Ryan S.

@badscooter

Locale: New England

I just picked up the Q Core SL the other day and while I thought it was extremely comfortable it seemed like something was off. Sure enough after stumbling across this thread I dug out the SL and my Exped UL7 for comparison.

Q Core Sl vs Exped UL7

There's clearly a difference of over an inch where at least one full tube is lost. After laying them side by side I am seriously reconsidering my Q Core SL purchase.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I also gave it a test drive at my local REI…I am not a wide person (5'7", 145 pounds) and when I laid on the mat both of my arms just naturally fell to the ground. At no point were my arms able to be on the pad if I was on my back.

I rolled to my side, but then my butt and my knees were totally hanging off, too.

So then I tried the regular Q core. This is an amazingly comfortable pad…but also a little shy in the width department. Not as bad, but I was still pushing the boundaries of the edges.

I think I may go with the downmat. Quite a shame, actually, because I really like big Agnes.

Ryan S.

@badscooter

Locale: New England

I couldn't get a good photo of it but there's also a difference in length of about 1.25 in between the Exped and the Q Core SL. The Q Core will definitely be heading back. Too bad.

Mark Barnett

@beyondsundaymorning

Locale: Way Down South In Dixie

I am a BIG fan of Big Agnes and their sleeping system. My family has several of their bags and pads and so do some of my fellow scout leaders. I use the original, gray Q-Core Pad and love it. Best sleep I have EVER had outdoors. I have been waiting for my REI dividend to purchase the new Q-Core SL and lighten my weight a bit. Unfortunately, on several sites I have been reading that there is a size difference in the new Q-Core SL versus the original gray Q-Core pad so I just called Big Agnes and asked them directly. They were very helpful as usually and did indeed state that the SL pad is narrower than the original Q-Core. They said that there was an issue with the mold that was used for the new SL pad being too narrow and they did not realize the problem until the first runs of the pads were already finished. They did say in the future the pads should be the same size as the original Q-Core pad but it wouldn't be until they went through the stock they had from the first runs. I asked if they had an expected availability date for the wider pads and they did not. I will definitely check back in a few months to see if the wider pad is available. I LOVE the Q-Core pad and can't wait to get the new (correct sized) SL version to lighten my carry weight. On the plus side, they did say that although they came out a little more narrow than stated that means they are lighter than stated as well. I have broad shoulders or I would go ahead and get the new SL. If you aren't very broad shouldered then you might be able to use the narrower one with no problems. Hope this clears things up on this issue for some of you. I do appreciate Big Agnes telling me exactly what the problem was and admitting that there is indeed an issue. I love their products and their customer service.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Mark, that's great info you've passed along. My current plan, now, is to use the BA air-core I've got for another season and get the improved Q-SL next year. I need the full width,inasmuch as 20" is "full", ha ha!

James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

That is great information. I too love BA products but I still question this heavily of their character though. Why would they intentionally sell a product they knew had a production run error? They could have done a lot of things, to include maybe advertising the proper size of the pad (18" x 71" ?), Not accepted the production run and wait for the new ones to come out before sending out to retailers. But they did not. By the way!! The rep saying OH! the fact that they are a little bit tini widgy smaller means they are lighter sounds like smoke blowing up my A!#^*>!^ double talk.

Do those people they sold pads to get to return their improperly manufactured pad for a credit or swap for the newly made, revamped super duper, we got it right this time pad!

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Seems to me that although BA are willing to admit on an individual basis that their flagship pad is underspec, they have no plans to recall their falsely labelled products from the market. Maybe they're hoping that the average REI / EMS punter doesn't realize, or assumes that this is how all 'UL' equipment is.

I'd like to be able to support BA, as a local (CO) design and fulfillment company, but since they got wall-to-wall coverage by Backpacker magazine a few years back, they have blundered a number of times. 'Tis a shame, as they got me started on the path to lightweight hiking.

Edit – ha, James beat me to it.

Mark Barnett

@beyondsundaymorning

Well I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to give 'em hell about not pulling their product or advertising the correct width. Honestly, I don't blame you guys for "calling them on the carpet" for that. I thought the same thing. Then after I thought about it I gave them the benefit of the doubt (maybe I shouldn't have) that the amount of money invested in the first run was too much to just throw away. I then thought they should have at least advertised them at the correct sizing but I thought what a disaster that could become when so many websites carry their product and some would change their specs and some would not and then begins the mass confusion and all the phone calls, questions etc. why some places say it is one size and others say it is another. No I don't work for them and they aren't paying me to take their side. Honestly I am not taking their side. I just work in sales with the public and I know situations like this have no real good answer sometimes. It's easy for us as the consumer to say well, they just should have done this or that but sometimes the answer is just not that easy. I think you both are right that they should have either pulled them or correctd the advertised sizing but I wasn't involved in the pros and cons of either decision so I don't know what they were up against. All of that said, I wanted to reply to a couple of other comments. As many sites, such as REI, etc. offer a "No Questions Asked" return policy, people who purchased them could return them if they are unhappy with them. Many purchasers are smaller people and won't find it a problem anyway as evidenced by the very high ratings the new SL pad gets on some sites. Also, at least from their Warranty wording and my personal experience with Big Agnes customer service I cannot see a problem with someone returning it or exchanging it for something else if they had to go to Big Agnes directly. So although I cannot speak for Big Agnes, I think those who purchased one are in the clear if they want to pursue a refund or exchange somehow. Also I wanted to comment on what the Big Agnes associate told me about it being lighter. I work in sales so I am very quick to notice when someone is blowing smoke up my A!#^*>!^. This gentleman was in no way doing that. As a matter of fact, he was almost apologetic for the problem and I could tell he really hated that it was an issue for their customers. I think he was just trying to say that if someone could use the more narrow pad it had a plus in that it was lighter as well. I can't speak for the company or every associate at Big Agnes but the person I spoke with was genuine in his concern for their customers.

Mark Barnett

@beyondsundaymorning

Let me say also that I have not seen or compared the size of the new Q-SL pad. We do not have any stores in my area who carry these. I don't know if we are talking 3/4", 1", or 2.5" difference. If the difference was minor that may have played a part in them not pulling them or not changing the advertised sizing, but if it is major then I agree there is no excuse. Something should have been done. With my comments above I assumed it was a minor difference, maybe 1" or less narrower. I guess minor or major is different in the eyes of each purchaser though, so again, I really don't know the answer. I just hope they get the size correct before too long because I could shave close to a 1/2 lb off my carry weight with just a change to the new pad.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I have the wide/long version on the way – I decided even if it was narrower than published that as long as it was at least 23" wide I'd be fine with it. But I assume they use a different mould and this may be true to published specs. When I get it I'll post up, just in case anyone else is curious about the wide/long version of the Q Core SL.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools